Sign in to follow this  
tharper

Better feedback during lengthy processes

First of all, well done! I've been contemplating an Adobe free lifestyle and Affinity Photo may just be the first piece in the solution.

So I wanted to suggest that the app give us better feedback when it's doing something. I'm running it on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina with 8GB of ram and see the spinning beach ball a lot, no really, a LOT. 

Of course I'm working on multiple layers of 24MP raw files. That's enough to tax a system! Still, it would be very helpful to see some progress bars so I know what the app is thinking.

Cheers!

The beach ball is typically a sign that the system itself is very busy with an application, i. e. that the application can’t respond to anything at that moment. So if you see the beach ball there is nothing the application (or the developers) can do to tell you what it’s doing since it means it’s just too busy dealing with itself, i. e. it has no resources left to tell what it’s doing. See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_pinwheel#System_usage

That means it’s not an issue of the application but you probably need more RAM.

The beach ball is typically a sign that the system itself is very busy with an application, i. e. that the application can’t respond to anything at that moment. So if you see the beach ball there is nothing the application (or the developers) can do to tell you what it’s doing since it means it’s just too busy dealing with itself, i. e. it has no resources left to tell what it’s doing. See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_pinwheel#System_usage

That means it’s not an issue of the application but you probably need more RAM.

Ah, thanks for that info. And yes, I truly need more RAM.