You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please give option to Auto Select Black & White when using a mask

Hi,

A default behaviour which drives me crazy is the way Affinity Photo handles colour selection and masking.

Example: If you paint with the colour red and blue > create a mask > select the mask box, now your brushes are greyscale value of red and blue instead of black and white. After manually setting white and black, do your masking > switch back to painting.... the colour selection has changed to black and white so you have to manually restore your colours with the colour picker.

Do a bit more painting for 20-30 seconds, oops I need to fix that mask up. Click back on the mask > manually set it to black and white> mask the areas > click back on the layer > manually select my colours again etc etc

This is a redundant workflow, its a massive time waste when it should be a totally different dialogue for masking. 

There is an option for a hotkey to reset the brush colours to black and white, so you don't have to manually select.... but then your layer colours are gone!! And you have to colour pick them again anyways. So frustrating. 

Why would you ever want an auto greyscale value of your currently selected colour for use within masking? And why would you not want your layer colours auto restored to continue working with?

I really want to like Affinity Photo but it makes things harder than they need to be ;0