You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting per-image sampling; a mix pixel art and photos.

I've got a little project I'm working on in Publisher that uses both low-res pixel art and hi-res photos (along with a number of vector assets). Typically (in a game engine, the web, etc) I would look to scale the pixel art up and set it's scaling algorithm to 'nearest neighbour' to ensure the art remained crisp, but I don't seem to be able to achieve that same effect within Publisher; even if I set the entire PDF export settings to use 'nearest neighbour' (which isn't ideal for photographs). The pixel art just comes out blurry and compressed like a JPG.

Is it possible to set the scaling algorithm on a per image basis; nearest neighbour for pixel art, and bilinear/bicubic/etc for photos in within the Affinity applications? Keeping the pixel art crisp and sharp, while using an algorithm better suited to photographs?

I could upsize the pixel art and then scale them down so they appear crisper when compressed in PDF, but I'd ideally like to be able to just use the standard assets supplied.

45 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

The pixel art just comes out blurry and compressed like a JPG.

JPEG compression disabled on export?

45 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Is it possible to set the scaling algorithm on a per image basis;

I think you'd have to adjust the image size/resolution to 100%, matching the document's "DPI" value.
Just posted something similar earlier today:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

11 minutes ago, loukash said:

Just posted something similar earlier today:

… the relevant bit likely being this though:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2