You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pinning margin notes, pull text, photos, and illustrations to text locations

So, I am composing a science book in Publisher, I would like to format it such that there is a sizable margin on the outside edge of each page where I will place illustrations, diagrams, pull text, photos, asides, and author's notes. The placement of each in-margin object must be vertically pined to an exact location in the body text. I've played with the pinning tool but can't quite figure out how to do this. Any how-to vids explaining this? Found a vid but only shows how to float the illustration within the text frame. That won't work for me for as I have said, I need my illustrations etc. to sit in the margin outside of but next to the main body text that the they illustrate. Everything I try seems to make Publisher shaky as hell. Something very unfinished about this Publisher product. My test illustration keeps disappearing bye bye forever and I have to start over again???? Image box won't let me manually drag into new position. Etc. I don't want to seem overly critical here, but I get the feeling your programming team is not really up to snuff. P.S. after editing this forum post, the only button to commit the edit seems to be a "Edit Topic" button. Shouldn't it read "Submit Edit" or the like?

Thanks, Randall

Thank you! So is there a way to automate this process? For instance, I have written my manuscript in Scrivener and have inline notes pinned to text throughout. These notes are either text or images or links etc. Is there a way to preserve the information and format it accordingly as margin illustrations, pull quotes, author's notes, etc?

Thanks Randall

The Affinity Suite does not currently support scripting, so there is no way to write automation scripts.  You might be able to cut a note text or image object from Scrivener and paste (outside a text trame) in Publisher, then quickly set scaling (Transform) and pin the result.  But you will have to experiment.