You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedding a PDF with bleed and crop marks

Hi everyone,

I have embedded a PDF with crop marks into my document on Designer for iPad however is doesn’t show the crop marks! Is there a way to do this on the iPad? The PDF has bleed and crop marks and I need those when the file is embedded on a new page.

I’ve recently started using Designer for iPad, instead of Designer for Mac. I recall there being a PageBox function in the tool bar where you could choose between CropBox, MediaBox and Artbox. But I can’t find this on the iPad anywhere. 

please help!

thanks!

I'm intrigued how you've embedded a PDF using iPad Designer? I can only see 'Place Image". How have you done this, please?

You're sure you've set the Designer page to have a bleed too?

And if you have, you've unclipped the Canvas?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

46 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

I'm intrigued how you've embedded a PDF using iPad Designer? I can only see 'Place Image". How have you done this, please?

You're sure you've set the Designer page to have a bleed too?

And if you have, you've unclipped the Canvas?

I just dragged and dropped the PDF into the new document! This is what I used to do in Designer desktop. 

What do you mean by unclipping the canvas? 

When I export the original PDF and view it in files, I can see it has bleed and crop marks, but then when I drag that into a new page in a new document, the bleed and crop marks disappear.

Here are some pics. You can see a) the original file, then b) exported with crop marks and bleed and then c) placed on a new document without the crop marks or bleed. 

Basically, I want to set two up on a page so I can print easily.

1B2E9636-A60E-409E-9DE0-584D4F7CBE9B.png

6C9A1D53-98A3-42E5-B8D9-1F14542B8360.png

C8E1E594-34E3-4D1B-8637-99BFB8E59583.png

57 minutes ago, jemmalee said:

What do you mean by unclipping the canvas?.

Apologies > Document menu > canvas > clip to canvas.

It seems to be the equivalent to ‘preview mode’ in Adobe (if you’re familiar with that). It reveals or hides whatever exists beyond the page/canvas.

It’s a toggle on/off command but doesn’t have a tick to indicate which it is set to. I assume because Serif think it’s obvious.

57 minutes ago, jemmalee said:

I just dragged and dropped the PDF

Doh! No idea why on earth I’ve never thought of doing that! Am going to try it now. Thank you.

_—————————————-

edit - these instructions do not answer the issue. See my post further down about tapping the embedded pdf twice

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

6 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

Apologies > Document menu > canvas > clip to canvas.

It seems to be the equivalent to ‘preview mode’ in Adobe (if you’re familiar with that). It reveals or hides whatever exists beyond the page/canvas.

It’s a toggle on/off command but doesn’t have a tick to indicate which it is set to. I assume because Serif think it’s obvious.

Ok, I tried clip to canvas a few times but it didn’t change anything. Any other ideas? I posted some photos above so you can see what I’m talking about. 

I want to be able to embed multiple PDFs to a page (like business cards for example) and then print them and trim them myself. But obviously can’t do if it doesn’t show the crop marks or bleed!!! Arghhh

Wow, fascinating, but not much help to you @jemmalee, sorry.

Just dragged a pdf in. Same. Seems it’s imported it cropped to page.

It is importing the whole PDF because I managed to tap on the imported pdf layer and convert it to objects - I don’t recommend doing it btw. The crop marks are there, but not visible.

Will continue having a play, but can’t promise to help much.

5 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

Wow, fascinating, but not much help to you @jemmalee, sorry.

Just dragged a pdf in. Same. Seems it’s imported it cropped to page.

It is importing the whole PDF because I managed to tap on the imported pdf layer and convert it to objects - I don’t recommend doing it btw. The crop marks are there, but not visible.

Will continue having a play, but can’t promise to help much.

It’s disappointing because I used to be able to fix this issue in Designer desktop by using the PageBox function as discussed here.

Thank you for trying :) 

Whoa!! Wow, that’s fascinating. Ok.....

tap the embedded pdf twice

1. drag your pdf in
  2. tap on the pdf twice - or on its layer
  3. crop marks, etc, appear! (And lots of layers like you’ve opened the pdf)
  4. I grouped and scaled. you may only need to scale by a small amount 
  5. touch the Home arrow...... does not take you Home, but goes back to a view of the pdf!

EDIT; I think what we’re doing here is scaling the contents of the pdf so it fits everything with its boundary.

(the post you found was 2019)

Not sure what I think of this right now...

11 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

Whoa!! Wow, that’s fascinating. Ok.....

1. drag your pdf in
  2. tap on the pdf twice - or on its layer
  3. crop marks, etc, appear! (And lots of layers like you’ve opened the pdf)
  4. group and scale
  5. touch the Home arrow...... does not take you Home, but goes back to a view of the pdf!

I’ve ended up with the boundary of the newly resized pdf still set to the original page size definition... or... something... not quite processed it yet. You’ll possibly see it too. Not sure if it’s the order I’ve done things in, or if there’s a reset of some sort, or I’ve missed an object when grouping.

(the post you found was 2019)

Not sure what I think of this right now...

OH MY GOODNESS YOU ARE A LIFESAVER. 

Seriously thank you so so so so much :)

Hey, no worries. Feeling really pleased with myself! I’ve learned loads and helped you too. We both win!! Great way to end the day here in the UK! Take care and happy printing there in Aus.