You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crashes when Saving

Shaylagee

I'm also having crash after crash, starting tonight, on a 64-page cookbook I'm designing. I'm on page 18 of the edits, and until this point it was fine, with no issues. I've been working on it for a few weeks with no issues. I'm on a tight deadline and would appreciate any help please.

I was having some issues with my master page items, so I removed text from them, and did a simple page by page copy and paste of the text in the text placeholder. I'm wondering if this caused the issue. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I'm new to this software, having used Quark Xpress for years. I'm on a Mac with all the new updates. But, it's an older computer, upgraded with a SSD. 

I'm not a professional designer, but knew my way around Quark and Photoshop, mostly self-taught.
I'm not seeing where to check if I have "pinned" items that are causing issues. Can someone please help me? I'm freaking out and desperate. I have only a few days to finish this project.  Thank you. My file is attached below.

layout_of_cookbook_working.afpub

Hi @Shaylagee Welcome to the Affinity forums. I've split the thread into a new one for your issue.

I'm sorry to see you've been having this problem. I have been able to recreate the crash and can see the offending pinned item. I'm going to take a closer at look at it and get back to you but for info here is the pinned item. Do you remember working on it prior to the crashing?

As you mention an SSD does that mean you are storing the files locally or are they on an external device, cloud storage, one drive or google drive?

Crash-on-save.png

Hi. Thanks for the info so far. I'm just saving on my local drive, but my computer gets backed up every night.

Yes, I was having trouble with the section names right before the crash happened. How come I can't see that pinned symbol when I view the file?

Is it possible to have someone walk me through rebuilding the master pages? Maybe I don't know how to do this, but I wanted to create a placeholder for text on the master page header, but then change the actual text depending on the section. So, on the actual pages, I was highlighting, deleting "section name" and putting in the actual section wording I needed. I started having issues when I added a new page into the existing document, in the middle of it. The words "section name" were showing over top of my heading I had physically typed in, and when the pages shifted, I had two layers of text, and couldn't hide the master page text, or remove it. I became so frustrated trying to do this, that I deleted the placeholder on the master pages, deleted the header text on every document page, then set up a new header text box with Section Name again. Things seemed to show up right at that point. THEN, I highlighted and changed the section names as needed..

Is there an easier/more correct way to do this? I used to be able to do this in Quark no problem.

thanks.

Hi @Shaylagee That was the issue that I was having, it is possible sometimes to just delete it and save but not always. I am just about to DM you with the fixed file as one of my colleagues managed to fix it for you, again it isn't always possible.

Thank you so much for the extra information, that is a big help. I have logged the issue and will add it all in for the development staff.