You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Combine overlapping nodes on same path

Welcome to the forums @kevphil
If you can explain what you mean by “combine the overlapping nodes” (preferably with a good visual example) then someone might be able to help.
The Affinity applications don’t have “Pathfinder” tools so you might be disappointed, although there may be a 'workaround' of some type.

I'm having similar trouble. I've been working to recreate an older pixel logo for a business (as close to the original design as possible so please excuse the odd relationships between its parts) and while I've managed to get this far without the Shape builder tool I am currently struggling to merge overlapping nodes. The software doesn't consistently weld nodes together when they are joined. Image 1 shows the shapes looking about as clean as the design allows. Gif 1 shows the problem. Despite having "joined" each node to create a closed volume there are still leftover pieces of the individual line segments that I have been unable to get rid of. I can of course delete the overlapping vertices but that would adjust the shape of the of the lines I spent time setting up with circles. That's image 2. Basically I'm trying to do manually what Illustrator's Shape Builder tool does.

Image 1: The overall shape

Gif 1: The problem

Image 2: The set up for the final 'cyclone'

Edited by Tocoja

TOCOJA:

I suggest you submit your problem separately. There are pointers in the HELP doc. (Aptly named! As in, HELP ME WITH THIS STEAMING PILE OF HORSE HOCKEY! ) You have to select the whole path with the Move Tool before selecting points with the Node Tool and Ctrl-clicking with the Pen Tool to continue paths.

I would seriously suggest looking at Inkscape, which despite being OpenSource (free), seems more full featured. Alas, it too has an unconventional interface... >sigh<

I assumed we were having the same issue here so that my photos might be helpful here. 

I constructed the final shape in Image 1 by cutting overlapping curves - unfortunately the shape was a bit too complex to use their pathfinder tools - and joining them with the node tool. However there's no way I can see to merge those nodes once everything has been combined to form a single closed volume. 

I read through the node tool's help section and have been googling the question but this was the closest topic I found. But I can post it separately and give it a shot!