You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity files not saving to iCloud and out of sync between desktop and iPad

I also use all three apps, but in iCloud all I have is an Affinity Designer folder with the icon for Affinity Photo (see screenshots attached).

macOS.png

iPad.png

@bryanrieger I've split this into it's own issue as the steps to reproduce them both will be different. I don't want them to get confused as I'd like a clear method of reproduction for them both. In future, it's best to start a new thread when the issue is likely to take a detour from the original OP's issue. :)

I am using an iPad with a desktop Mac so will see if I can recreate the folder issues myself.

@SPaceBar oddly, I do have 'Default Save Location' set to 'iCloud Drive' but nothing every shows up in these folders, and it always appears to only be on my iPad, and if I 'Close' them I loose them forever (I learned that the hard way). If I save them it appears to save a copy to iCloud, but if I edit that file on the desktop and resave it the changes are not reflected within Designer. I have to go and re-open it from the cloud to load the changes. It's all feels a bit clunky.

As far as workflow goes I have the following tips:

• Always manually save and save often. It's a good tip for all software.
  • If you create a file on iPad then edit it on desktop when you save it it's a good idea to rename it something like - "Test - edited"
  • When you then want to work on "Test - Edited" on your iPad select "Open From Cloud"

If you treat it as a new file you will get used to the idea that it's won't auto-update while it is open on your iPad. It also means you have the original file should you decide you don't like the edits you made on desktop.

I will look into the folder issue and get back to you.

• 4 months later...