You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reassign Hot key panning (hand tool) from the spacebar to the alt key

I hope I’m not doubling up on another thread but I certainly can’t find one. Similar to ID, Affinity Publisher uses the Spacebar for hot key panning. I’ve never understood this at all. I’m still a Quark user and never took to ID, however I’ve been having fun and enjoying designing in Publisher. I use Designer and Photo already. But the Spacebar as the move/panning tool makes no sense to me at all. I constantly delete text and/or add several spaces while I’m working. Quark uses the alt key and it’s easy to move about the screen no matter what’s selected or active within your work space. Who would have thought that such a simple mover tool would affect my overall speed and workflow that badly. I’d love to be able to change Publisher to use the alt key instead of the spacebar within the preferences.

• 1 month later...

Yes, since the very very old times, the Alt key allows panning no matter what’s selected or active, even in InDesign (when in text frame). The spacebar is commonly used as pan tool and makes sense, unless you work with the text, then you are just adding spaces... In affinity the middle mouse does the job (mouse wheel click) without touching any key. 

2 hours ago, wlk said:

Yes, since the very very old times...

This made me chuckle, yes I've been designing for 26 years and counting and I've been using the alt rather than the spacebar for all I guess. I did find the mouse click and yes it's brilliant (always used a 3rd party mouse with scroll wheel, on left hand, wacom on right, so works great) click for handler and spin for zoom. I'm not doing that great with Publisher however and I've compiled a long list of nice things I'd like to see, but Designer is fun to use and Photo does the job (I'd proudly announce I've not opened an adobe in 5 months). It's going to take a sharper app to drag me off QXP2020 for page layout though.