You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table management

Tables are really frustrating. the ability to manage cell/column widths is really limiting. You can't properly adjust the widths. it just won't let you adjust a column width to the width you want if there are other columns to the right of it. It takes the maximum width of the table and it won't let you properly shift the width of the table by adjusting the column widths. which is really frustrating if you need to change any thing. Maybe I'm missing something. Indesign handles this so much better.

I've used tables a lot in APub and you're right - it can be really annoying.
The only way I could get tables to work was work out the dimensions of your finished table so you can create a table with the correct number of columns and the correct finished table width and then change the column widths working from left to right.

The other issue I had with tables was that APub would just crash out when making changes to them
Either it would close unexpectedly or just stopped responding so I had to use Task Manager to kill it off.

that's not a bad idea.

My work around is to add all the columns you need, over extend it by a large amount and the starting in column A set the widths and work my way across and let it "shrink" to fit.

not the best solution when it should/could be much simpler.

The issue I had with working that way was that it wanted to keep the overall table width the same, so when you got to the last column it would usually be too wide.
If you then adjust the table to get that last column right it would change all the carefully adjusted columns to the left so as to keep the same proportions.
So you then have to go back and resize them all again.
And if i recall correctly going back to insert another column was a nightmare because it doesn't resize the table - it resizes all the colmuns to fit the new one in.

Something to watch out for though is that if the "early" columns need to be wider than the default values you'll have to adjust the "later" columns first otherwise you'll have issues trying to change the widths.

You just need to experiment a bit to find what works for your particular layout.
I had two tables laid over the top of each other.
The first had 17 columns and the second 34 columns underneath.
They have to be the same overall width so that I can have text in the first table and the second has two coloured cells as a backgound for each of the top table so I can have two colours behind the text.
Worked OK when I got the calculator out to do the design on paper before opening the software.