You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crashing

I have a project with about 350 pages, lots of linked files (primarily SVGs). I modified and replaced one of the SVG files in a separate program while Publisher was running. I went back to Publisher wondering if the change would show up automatically. Seeing that it did not (it did show a quick message that the resource had changed), I then saved the project and restarted Publisher. The message reappeared and I clicked the resource manager link, but Publisher froze, then crashed. I restarted, went to the 'Document' tab, then to  Resource Manager, but it froze and crashed again. Repeated a couple times with same result. I then made an insignificant change in the project, saved, and then it let me open Resource Manager and update the file successfully. I then saved and all seemed well.

While typing this, I went to check the version number (latest as of a few days ago) to include, but when clicking on the 'Help' tab Publisher froze. I left it and finished typing the above, upon returning I could use the program normally, except all the menu tabs at the top would just highlight if I clicked them, without opening. I closed Publisher and tried to restart it, but it would not respond. I'm about to reboot and will give an update.

Now I was able to get to the 'Help' tab and check the version: 1.8.3.641

Everything seemed to be running fine, but I tried to check Resource Manager and it froze, then crashed again.

I'm not sure if this issue has to do with changing the linked resource, or perhaps with the number of linked files. Originally I had about 30 pages with a variety of linked files, PDFs, SVGs, and Designer files. No performance issues. After loading in hundreds of SVGs, there wasn't much of a performance hit. Saving took a bit of time, and loading all the pages took a bit of time, but not bad, and that's all I noticed.

My system: Windows 10, i7-3770, 16GB RAM, SSD, GeForce 1060-6GB.

Publisher, with my project open uses right at 5 GB RAM (with well over half free including windows and an open web browser). I just noticed that Publisher really works my CPU when loading this project, with constant spikes and drops ranging from around 10% up to the 80s and 90s (nothing else running using anything significant). My GPU is barely used, maybe 7% on average. Nothing else notable. Publisher still seems very responsive when loading everything into RAM. Once done loading everything, Publisher is right around 1% CPU.

I never had any serious stability issues until this evening. I'm going to try to update a few more linked SVGs, but all seems well now.

All kinds of problems now. First keyboard shortcuts stopped working. This happened maybe twice a long time ago, but restarting fixed the issue. This time I had to restart multiple times to fix it. One time I restarted and opened my project it took longer than usual to load, then spat out hundreds of window messages saying my linked files couldn't be found. Restarted, now it won't load the project at all, just stuck on "loading," though Publisher is responsive otherwise. I hope I didn't somehow corrupt my project file...

Update:

So just to follow up, I ended up embedding all the SVG files in my project, 250+. The result is it now takes nearly 2 minutes to initially load the project, and another 25 seconds before the CPU quiets down and it completes loading everything it needs. When everything was linked there wasn't much initial loading time at all, but things continued to load for a while in the background (without much noticeable performance hit), so I'm guessing the total time was likely similar. Anyway, the result is Publisher is much more stable than before. I can easily live with the 2.5 minute loading time.

I think this may point to a potential problem with the way Publisher is handling linked files however, but I have no idea what that might be. And of course it would be nice if the loading could be made more efficient, it seems to be very CPU intensive, very light on everything else.