You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So if I understand correctly it's "best practices" to initially save our work as an '.afphoto' file AND THEN if I wanted to affect my Affinity Photo work a bit more back in either Photoshop or Lightroom it would be necessary to flatten the file and "SAVE AS" either a TIF or PSD, right?

Are we able to do that, "Save As" in AP?

Not quite right Michael.  You do not need to explicitly flatten the .afphoto file, you simply need to export as a tiff or jpeg - using the File>"Export" command, not the File>"Save As".  The application takes care of doing the flattening (behind the scenes) in producing the other formats, but does not effect the .afphoto file.  Save As will only give you the option to save the .afphoto file with a different name/location, not convert to another format.  So in your scenario, you would end up with both an .afphoto file with layers intact if you haven't flattened them, and a tiff or jpeg file to use elsewhere.  You could always delete the .afphoto version if you have no further need for it, depends on your workflow.

It would be more likely, Donato, my pitching the AP-flattened export after I then added it to an already existing multi-layered 'master' in PS. There seems to be some things Affinity Photo does well/does differently than does Photoshop (or Lightroom or onOne Photo Suite for example). And I often tend to go back and finesse things just a bit later when I notice something could be "better" on a file I once was working...

But I'm beginning to find – the more I attempt to experiment with Affinity Photo – how frustrating and time consuming it is to get things done quickly, efficiently. (I'll post later, tomorrow or the next day, on my concerns with the much-touted all-in-one 'High Frequency' filter and likely why I will likely just stick with my standard, admittedly more-complex fall-back process within Photoshop instead.)

For newbies to pixel editing, for those who want to at last move beyond ifoto, I'm thinking Affinity Photo will be a truly wonderful segue, less frustrating transition on their part – ESPECIALLY by way of its terrific and some of the features presented in the short vids on Vimeo. Perhaps one day – when someone takes the time to write comprehensively regarding the 'ins' and 'outs', the 'why's and 'wherefore's involved with this ground-up new pix-ed-app it'll make more sense for those of us who are used to the old school... But interesting and laudable nonetheless me thinks.