You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DAM/Non-destructive editing

It's really really really great that we're finally seeing some promising Photoshop competition.  I've been following the Pixelmator development closely but they aren't aiming at the professional market.  Finally somebody else is.  Thanks so much and congrats.  I'm buying the App as soon as it's released just to support the cause and keep up with it until such time as it fills all my needs.  However...

Perhaps the greatest need goes beyond Photo editing, and beyond what Affinity Designer is doing.  Think bigger.  The weak spot in any workflow is Digital Asset Management (DAM).  Hierarchical Folder organizing is terribly inefficient and outdated.  Adobe Bridge tried to solve that but .xmp sidecar files are messy.  Lightroom is the king of photo DAM now that Aperture is being phased out.  But Aperture had DAM right.  It was the absolute best at organizing, sorting, rating, version stacking and keyboarding, and while its RAW engine was mediocre, it made up for it with the best roundtrip editing workflow out there.  It was totally under appreciated except by those who dug in and used it to the fullest, and now there's a huge gap to be filled.  We need something to compete with Lightroom, and it needs to be database driven.  Forget sidecar files.  If you can come up with a way to truly manage digital assets - not just photos, but video, vector files and (god willing) your future replacement for InDesign files, you'd blow Adobe and its cloud subscription service out of the water.

Please please consider an application to manage our files.  The Finder just doesn't cut it.

(I'm not sure what type of integration will be possible with the new Photos app that's "replacing" iPhoto and Aperture, but word is you can't do star ratings or stacks, and it might never be up to snuff)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.