You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import from PDF gives listing bullets a strange character

post-51057-0-44385100-1486350118_thumb.pngORNAMENTAL.pdfI have tried to import PDF into Affinity Designer, which looks good, but leaves listing bullets with a strange "z" character.

Any other opening option does not help. It is probably some font problem, but Affinity does not report any import font problem.

What can I do to import properly?

As an alternative solution to normal importing, is it possible in Affinity Designer to do "Replace All" on text?

Attached is the problem printscreen and PDF document. 

Regards

JohnT.

Hi Fonza,

The fact that listing bullets do not display correctly may be due to the fact that AD does not handle them.
I do not know if there is a way to replace them all at once but replacing them one by one is feasible. Obviously it takes a little time.
In the attached file I replaced the first bullets of the list with a character of the Windings font.
It's an inconvenient solution that you've probably already thought of but maybe someone else might have a better idea.

Regards

post-37692-0-86920100-1486377636_thumb.png

post-37692-0-43652900-1486377637_thumb.png

reclico might be right with this, but to me it also seems to be more sort of a font thing...

in properties of your .pdf there are several embedded fonts - it might be worth checking out which of them is probably not on your machine (if so). other thought is that theres maybe some different language or language-code settings (had this one before - not with bullets, but caused similar issues).

I found out this bullet is character "ź" in Wingdings font, produced from bullets by Corel Draw-PDF export, which is default setting (or maybe bug) for bullets in Corel.

I cannot change original now.

Question is, why is AD not showing bullet since this font is embedded in PDF and also installed in my windows system. 

Other PDF viewers all show bullet correctly.

I tried to write with Wingdings font in AD and it works, but only for regular characters in alphabet. Attached is alphabet in Wingdings font in AD with added last letter "ź". AD does not allow me to write this last letter in Wingdings font. It always stays in Arial font. 

Does AD have any limit on fonts? Any limit on Wingdings font?

post-51057-0-58129400-1486437409_thumb.png

Fonza,

It is possible to directly type the chip with the normal alphabet of the Windings font. The letter l (lima) tiny gives the same kind of chip as on the pdf file, but a little bigger.

I enclose an example in which I reduced the chip to 6 and increasing the baseline by 2 pt while keeping the rest of the text at 14 in Arial Narrow.

Otherwise with a font management software it is possible to directly copy and paste the correct chip (unicode: U-F09E).

post-37692-0-69936900-1486571631_thumb.png

post-37692-0-36892300-1486571632_thumb.png