You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export PNG from Designer with RGB bleed?

As a game developer, I'm having an issue creating assets using Designer for use in a game. Consider this simple asset:

image.png.14d586933ee12e74a612df39131d8cee.png

If I export this as a small PNG in Designer, this is what the RGB layers look like before applying the alpha layer/transparency:

image.png.6e881e9e0d3e2af9607e2206726e10e7.png

However if I put this into an OpenGL game with texture filtering and the OpenGL render mode set to normal (i.e. not premultiplied src), all that black will be used in selecting resized pixels, resulting in black artifacts around the edges 😢

image.png.2dcd00cbe7e2fbf87e9078b9f54547ac.png

If instead I change the PNG's RGB to be ALL white, the RGB and A are correctly filtered and resized, and I get exactly what I'm looking for, a nice smooth result:

image.png.caff660580973bc1c32fa464b17a6c93.png

From what I can tell, there are only three solutions:

1. Export images with extra bleed or a specific colour for transparent pixels. As far as I can tell Affinity Designer has no option for that, and I'll need to investigate additional software that can, further messing up my workflow.

2. Force your graphics software to export premultiplied alpha images, and use a premultiplied alpha render mode instead, and Affinity Designer doesn't support that. (Photo might have a filter or something that does?)

3. Stop using Affinity Designer and use different software that supports this use case.

Ideally Affinity Designer would support option 1 or 2!