You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.5 Causing crashes (again)

Guys, it has been six months and the latest Publisher is still super prone to crashes. 

• It crashes on IDML import (didn't use to do that with .9)
  • It crashes if you have a lot of linked files
  • It crashes if you have a lot of embedded files
  • It crashes if it thinks you have font missing (even if those fonts were perfectly alright earlier)

and so forth. And it's six months since I last saw anything at all from you guys on these matters. This is our primary tool. We use Publisher every day. It tends to get better if you use the same file frequently (beats me why) but these are not 'small annoyances'

Yes, I did read that. But that only applies to the crashes on font box. I did now remove the offending MS update, but still it does nothing to crashes when importing more complex IDML files, nor when you have enough (hundreds) linked files or when the embedded files grow the .afpub to over some size. No, I do not run out of RAM. And all of these did work with .9 version of Publisher. The very same files did not crash then on the same actions. 

Out of these the most annoying is the IDML import bug. It has been there now for 6 months. Any IDML import works on .9 and only the smallest and easiest work on .10
that cannot be right even from Serifs point of view. I'm also pretty confident that I am not only one importing IDML to Publisher.

I like your persistence. But did you read what I wrote? If it worked on .9 of Publisher but does no longer work on .10 it is damnably hard to say 'oh, it is IDML' that is at fault.

And yes, I did restart PC. But obviously I am still using same .afpub files.

4 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Wow. You really don't know what you talk about. You can not make editable files via PDF. Try having a rulebook with 500+ linked or embedded files (symbols and pictures) converted to pDF and then open it in Publisher. Then editing it is misery beyond anything. All layer groups are done, all box sizings will be random and everything is rasterized which is NOT what you want.

The workflow that SHOULD work and DID work in .9 is to export IDML from Indesign (on old files that were not originally done using Publisher), Import those using Publisher and then relinking all. 

Kindly keep firmly in mind that if .9 of Publisher did work on these issues just nicely and now all .10 versions do not, it is not something that is fixed by changing your workflow entirely.

We changed away from Indesign and do not have any intentions of going back. But having worked with it for years, there are a lot of old Indesign files that occasionally need to be imported to Publisher. 

From customer point of view a feature that used to work and then stops working (like IDML import from .9 changed to .10) is clearly a bug. You can try to paint that to something else, but it doesn't change the facts. Serif has had 6 months to fix it and many .10 subversions were done, but IDML import is still broken. I, for one, would really like to see it fixed in the NEXT Publisher version.

I wonder your view point. You have used a some effort in the replies, but do not seem to see the actual bug as a bug. I can't see what your motives are and maybe that matters not. What matters is that @Serif_Desktop team would actually fix the problem.