You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS export problem with custom size output

I am trying to print a large banner 37 feet by 4 feet.  I can create the canvas and then place all of the content onto the canvas and save the document as an afdesign file.  But every time that I try and export any output I get the "boing" sound indicating an error of some type and I am unable to export anything in any form, bitmapped or vector.  I have no bitmapped content and no effects for which bitmapping might be applied. If the output size is less than 12 inches then I can export but anything over a relatively small paper size refuses to process.

Any suggestions?

I am trying to print a large banner 37 feet by 4 feet.  I can create the canvas and then place all of the content onto the canvas and save the document as an afdesign file.  But every time that I try and export any output I get the "boing" sound indicating an error of some type and I am unable to export anything in any form, bitmapped or vector.  I have no bitmapped content and no effects for which bitmapping might be applied. If the output size is less than 12 inches then I can export but anything over a relatively small paper size refuses to process.

Any suggestions?

Hi rap2000us, 

Are you using the Mac App Store, 1.3.5 version or the Beta, 1.3.5.2 version? 

I have both & I am experiencing problems with your file. 

I have two questions for you, is it necessary to have a transparent background & is it necessary to have 'placed' (embedded) files on each layer? 

I am still experimenting with your file, also. 

Paul.  :)

Hi rap2000us, 

What type of device are you wanting to print to? 

The resolution & document size is not compatible with Adobe PDF or print standards, it would probably be best to make it a size that's a quarter of the original, when it's 300 dpi, & tell the printer to output at 400% scale. 

Paul. 

Hi rap2000us, 

Are you using the Mac App Store, 1.3.5 version or the Beta, 1.3.5.2 version? 

I have both & I am experiencing problems with your file. 

I have two questions for you, is it necessary to have a transparent background & is it necessary to have 'placed' (embedded) files on each layer? 

I am still experimenting with your file, also. 

Paul.  :)

Hi rap2000us, 

What type of device are you wanting to print to? 

The resolution & document size is not compatible with Adobe PDF or print standards, it would probably be best to make it a size that's a quarter of the original, when it's 300 dpi, & tell the printer to output at 400% scale. 

Paul. 

Hi Paul,

I am using the Mac App Store Version 1.3.5.  I do not know the device to which I am printing.  I am sending it to a printer who will do the job for us.  It will actually be printed from a roll of an open mesh fabric since it will be displayed outside, which I understand to be standard for this type of application.  The printer told me that the rolls come up to 10 feet wide.  I asked them if I should send a 8 Bit CYMK eps with outlined fonts and they said that was exactly what they wanted.  This is the first time that I have attempted anything of this size.  I have no specific need for placing the different items on separate layers.  I also have no need for the background to be transparent.  It just comes up that way by default when I create a new document.

I will try what you have suggested.  Thank you for your suggestions.  In trying to experiment to find the problem, I took single items and placed them in new documents that were simply oversize (20" x20") and still had the problem so in that case there was only one layer.  Also I do not understand why the New Document setup panel offers to use Document Units of yards if they are disallowed by the other reasons that you have given.  I am new to this app and to this size document so I assume that I am doing something wrong just do not know what yet.

Richard

Hi Richard, 

1. I've reduced your original file to 25% of the original size at 300 dpi. 

2. I used the Customer Beta of Affinity Designer (1.3.5.2) for this exercise, it runs alongside the Mac App Store version without interference. 

3. I exported the file to a flattened eps file & opened it in Inkscape to verify that it imports OK into another app. 

Affinity Designer file & exported eps attached.

Cheers, 

Paul. 

Hi Richard, 

2. I used the Customer Beta of Affinity Designer (1.3.5.2) for this exercise, it runs alongside the Mac App Store version without interference. 

3. I exported the file to a flattened eps file & opened it in Inkscape to verify that it imports OK into another app. 

attachicon.gifTop-3_EPS_in_Inkscape.png

attachicon.gifTop-3.afdesignattachicon.gifTop-3.eps

Cheers, 

Paul. 

Hi Richard, 

attachicon.gifTop-3_EPS_in_Inkscape.png

attachicon.gifTop-3.afdesignattachicon.gifTop-3.eps

Cheers, 

Paul. 

Thanks Paul,

I will be studying what you have done and figuring out where I missed the boat.

Thanks greatly.

Richard

Now you have me.  I do not see an option as to how to do this.  I have seen a statement in the forum saying that it happens by default but that was almost a year ago so do not know what it does now. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/tags/forums/flattened%2Btext/

Hi Richard, 

As I said, I used the Beta. 

Screen shot:  

Cheers, 

Paul. 

"But every time that I try and export any output I get the "boing" sound indicating an error of some type…" 

BTW, that default sound you get is the same for me, I get a "ding" though! 

I just ignore it, after seeing complaints on various threads, I guess the devs will track it down & squash it eventually.  ;)

Paul.