You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm having some serious problems with my Affinity suite, and I'm starting to suspect that one, or all of them might in fact be causing this problem (which only seems to manifest when an Affinity app - Publisher being my main suspect, is running).

Symptom: on waking the displays of a triple display system, in which there is a single space for all displays (menubar on only one monitor), on some occasions one display will fail to register until the login password is entered. While most apps cope with this fine, Affinity apps can't seem to handle it, and shift their documents over to a space centring on the remaining two displays, as well as all their palettes, some of which will then be unable to be moved back, because their one drag point - their titlebar, is now outside of the screen bounds.

It's making the apps pretty unusable, and like I said, most other apps don't seem to be effected by it - windows that were on the "missing" screen stay on it when it shows back up again - Affinity, and iTunes seem to be the only apps that show any evidence that the problem even occurred.

Screenshots of the aftermath included.

If we had a working (the beta versions of it don't work as they should) option to Save Workspace that locked the palette arrangements, when saved, so that they could be reset by reselecting it from the menu, that might at least mitigate the problem.

photo_fail.png

designer_fail.png

publisher_fail.png

So I think I've identified the source of the problem, and it's really weirdly obscure.

My main display is a Benq SW270c, and it seems to have a janky displayport implementation - waking the display from sleep seems to cause it to drop and reestablish the connection, which I assume the system is interpreting as a lost monitor. My SW240s seem to be a bit odd on DP as well (power LED either solid on, or solid off rather than pulsing when the display sleeps, but only when its on DP, not HDMI), so I shouldn't be surprised.

With the main display running on HDMI, the problem doesn't manifest, however it does reinforce the need for a studio presets system that can save and lock panel locations, so they can be reset/recalled in the event of the displays being haunted.