I'm used to the magic of InDesign, but working with Affinity Publisher is my hopeful replacement of this good, but overpriced software. Thanks so much for the BETA testing opportunity. Here's a wishlist and some glitches I've encountered:
● HYPERLINKS: Add the option to include hyperlinks on any text (including when it's saved to curves. (For example, I want to hyperlink /myname on my resume to www.linkedin.com/myname, but can’t, and don’t want to waste the visual space adding the entire link when an icon will do)
● BULLET STYLES: Setting up bullet styles could be easier. In general, I want a small indent on the text after my bullets, and the continuing text on the next line, and thereafter to be indented the same as the first line (pretty standard). Currently, this requires putting in a bullet, changing the Tabstop value, then scrolling up to the Spacing menu and putting in a left indent, which for some reason automatically changes the first line indent, which I then have to change back to zero. I think it would be better if A) changing the left indent doesn’t automatically change the first line indent - really no menu change should automatically change another menu item, IMO. B) The bullet automatically has a more standard indenting default, which people can adjust if they like. I think it’s unlikely that a first line only indent on a bulleted list is anyone’s preference.
● INSERT IMAGES IN TEXT BOX: I’d like to be able to insert an image inside a text box (ie. Where the bottom of the image is aligned with the line of the bottom of the type on a line as the default, but this could be changed, and/or insert an image in a table and have text flow around it. Right now, I can’t figure out if there’s a way to do this.
● SCREEN SPACE / INTERFACE IMPROVEMENTS: The Pages and Assets menu - on a small laptop screen, this is taking a lot of space that could be better used for viewing your design. I’d like to be able to shrink the menu to half the width, or close it completely. There’s a lot of wasted space if you switch to medium or small size page icons, so not sure why it has been given so much real estate!
● COLUMNS: When creating columns in a text box (ie. Not in a table), I would like the option to adjust the space between columns - I see you can move them - adjusting the columns themselves, but I would like to set a different spacing to apply to a whole text box.
● LINES: I can’t figure out an easy way to draw or insert a straight line as a design element. The option seems to be to use the pencil, but requires a very steady hand - would be ideal to set a start and end point and have it default to a straight horizontal, and/or snap to some logical angles when you rotate it.
● PLACING .AI FILES: For some reason when I’m placing .ai graphics, Affinity is adding a lot of extra empty space around the edges, which means the graph/ic is so large that I cannot find the corners to shrink, and/or clip it. I’m working with a really old version of Illustrator, so could be why? This is definitely causing some headaches.