You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cheap Wacom Expresskey alternative with wifi numeric pad (AP - windows)

Nils-Petter Olsen

I made a script for software AHK (Autohotkey.com - very non-bloaty software to run different actions triggered by keystroke etc.)

If you got a wifi numeric keypad with some padding underneath (so it doesnt scratch the tablet) you can use your left hand to set off different shortcuts etc with a single keystroke or an easy key combo on your NumPad. While drawing with your stylus. Easypeasy.

NOTE: The script will disable the Numlocks normal function as long as the script runs. That is because the script uses the numpad keys with numlock off.

The numeric pad keys send their own unique code. For example Numpad Home key sends its own unique code, and the regular Home key sends another. Even though they usually do the same thing. That means: your regular Ins/Del/Home/End/LRUD etc keys will still work as normal. they will not be affected by this script. 

I made the script to fit with my workflow, of course, which is geared towards digital painting, not photo editing. But I tried to make the script very readable and easy to understand (use notepad to edit it). It fixes a problem I had, that the brush tip rotates along with canvas. Not intuitive for me. Ive added a shortcut that works around that, by rotating the canvas, and also rotate the brush tip accordingly, in the other direction. All by a single keystroke. And lots of other stuff, like adjusting brush size/flow/opacity easily. Cut/Copy/Paste, lasso tool, brush tool, deselect, crop.

So here they are. Install AHK. Put the two files on your desktop for easy access -  (or put them wherever you want). Doubleclick the script (.ahk file) to run it. (Kill the script with Esc. key)  read the .txt file - there you can see which keyboard shortcuts you need to add in AP for it to work. 

Check the .txt list for what different keystrokes and key combos do.

EDIT: in the .txt list there are are a couple of errors (leftovers from a shortkey list for another script - for another software)
Multibrush and drybrush of course does not exist in Photo. Pretty sure those hotkeys do nothing though. I think the .AFK file is fine. But let me know if it is not.

Photo - pub AHK script.ahk photo - pub shortkey list.txt

Edited by Nils-Petter Olsen