You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save vs. Save as vs. Export - Photo App to Affinity

I need clarification on how Affinity Photo saves images.

My normal workflow is to import RAW images directly into the Photos App on OS for organization.  From there I would like to edit images within Affinity.  I understand there are 2 ways to accomplish this and there lies the confusion.  I select edit in Photos App then select ‘edit in Affinity’ dialogue.  The image is opened in Affinity after instructions that says close image when done and select save changes in Photos App.  The edited image now replaces the original in Photos App.  Is the image saved in the Photos Library?

If I decide to export the image I have options for file types and location, but if I just select save or save as, where does the image get saved?  When I select reveal in finder, says library>group containers>(some random folder)>intermediates.

Is someone could walk me through the ins and outs of saving vs save as vs export that would be helpful.  Or is there a video that explains all this.

Thank you very much.

• Staff
17 hours ago, mugs said:

I select edit in Photos App then select ‘edit in Affinity’ dialogue.  The image is opened in Affinity after instructions that says close image when done and select save changes in Photos App.  The edited image now replaces the original in Photos App.  Is the image saved in the Photos Library?

Yes it is.

17 hours ago, mugs said:

if I just select save or save as, where does the image get saved?

Save should save the image back to the Photos app and Save As, will allow you to save a copy outside of the Photos app.  

If I want to edit a photo from the Photos app by right clicking on photo and select 'edit in affinity', then save it after my edits, I get options to save as or save with layers, neither of which saves the photo back into the photos app.  The save with layers option puts it deep into the photos library in a folder called 'external edit sessions' that photos app doesn't see.??

So in my experience the only way to save the photo back in the photos app is to used the 'edit in affinity' dialogue from the edit menu in photos app.?  As stated above, right clicking a photo and clicking 'edit in affinity' does not save the photo back to photos app.  If I just select save or save as, where does the image get saved?  When I select reveal in finder, says library>group containers>(some random folder)>intermediates.

Both methods saves the photo in different locations unless you close photo in affinity then save changes in photos app.  If you don't use that particular method, It's just not clear where it saves for future edits or organization, it ends up in a deep folder in photos library.