You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick Save Feature - Without Saving to a File

Ok, this feature request may seem like an odd one, but hear me out.

Sometimes I'm just messing around and experimenting in Affinity Designer. When I'm doing this, I prefer to keep stuff loaded up (not saved) because the project isn't good enough to save as a file, or I want to resume working on it later. My unorthodox method of keeping projects that are a work-in-progress or just experimentation is to force quit Affinity Designer so when I get back in, my files will be pulled up from an unsaved state automatically. This is especially useful because it can remind me about projects next time I launch the software, and I don't have to come up with names or folders to store a project I don't know enough about yet. Also, everyone knows how projects can quickly add up and get buried over time.

My feature request is to have a "quick save" button which will save things in the same manner of a force quit, except I don't have to use task manager. In other words, just save the state of the software as it is, instead of forcing me to save them as project files. I think this will be super convenient and make my personal workflow better. Then, next time the software is opened instead of "unsaved projects" there would be "quick saved projects" if you clicked the button in question. 

13 minutes ago, Astrax said:

Sometimes I'm just messing around and experimenting in Affinity Designer. When I'm doing this, I prefer to keep stuff loaded up (not saved) because the project isn't good enough to save as a file, or I want to resume working on it later.

I use the file name "to trash" a lot when I am messing around and experimenting. Save the file as such when opening a new one and at the end of the day trash them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 minutes ago, Astrax said:

My unorthodox method of keeping projects that are a work-in-progress or just experimentation is to force quit Affinity Designer

Yeah, you really need to stop doing that. :o

Anything I am testing or playing around with I save to a folder called delete.  That folder is excluded from all backups and I periodically just delete everything in it about once a month or so

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Astrax,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can do this already (more or less) but you will have to save the document(s) at least one time. Force Quit isn't really the way to go and you are risking losing data. Go to menu Edit > Preferences, General section and tick Reopen documents on startup (the label/description must be fixed - it's missing missing the S). Then when working on a new file go to menu File > Save (or Save As) and save it to a folder for temporary/research projects as suggested above - the file(s) are now saved/written to disk. From now on as soon as you have finished working on your file(s) make sure you go to menu File > Save again for each one (or press Ctrl +S) and close the app leaving the document tabs opened (but saved). Next time you run the app, all the (previously) opened documents will be there already opened/ready for you.

Hello all,

I appreciate the feedback on how what I'm doing is wrong (I know it's not a reliable practice.) But this is a feature request post and so far nobody has addressed the idea. I think it's a brilliant one, what does everyone else think?

7 hours ago, Astrax said:

But this is a feature request post and so far nobody has addressed the idea. I think it's a brilliant one, what does everyone else think?

Hi @Astrax,

since you asked ;-)

I think this is something that is not necessary and not worth taking programmer's time. As two people above pointed out there are ways to find a workflow that covers all you are asking for, except you have to be a little organised to do so.

I want to point out that the iPad versions of AD and APh work in a way like this because they save automatically. So maybe Affinity has something up their sleeves for desktop, too? But all of this does not keep you from the need to somehow organize your work (and scribbles and experiments) in some way :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil