You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export persona in Publisher

The export persona as it exists in Photo and Designer have a number of quite useful features which are not available in the export dialog: the ability to export cropped portions of a document without actually cropping the document, continuous exporting, etc.

There may be a few corner cases where some of that would be useful for Publisher, but very little of it would be relevant often enough to make it worthwhile in its current form, in my opinion.

Much more useful would be a few other related features that don't currently exist in any of the Affinity products, but which would lend themselves to an export/output-focused persona, and most if not all of these have been discussed in other threads on the forum - in particular:

• Preflight checks (color space usage, ink coverage checking, font types and availability, overflowing text frames, etc.)
  • Color separations
  • Preview with the simulated color space of a known output device (what will it look like when printed on printer X...) - this one is currently possible using an adjustment layer but having it in a dedicated export persona would be a helpful alternative
  • The ability to maintain multiple export presets for a given document.
    • Each should allow the selection of pages and/or sections to be exported together as a unit.  Similar to slices in the export persona of the other apps, but instead of cropping a section of a page, you would be able to specify that specific sections of a document should be included in a particular pre-defined export so that multiple partial documents could be produced out of one master document.
    • These could also have independent settings for things like bleed, color separations, output format (PDF / quality settings /etc.), imposition type and options, and so on.  This would allow setting up an export for print, another for a PDF to be distributed over the web, etc...
    • There should also be an ability to do a batch export by selecting more than one preset in a list and clicking one button to export all of them in one step.
    • For settings which are designed for print, it should also be possible to print directly from one of these presets.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 10:01 AM, Fixx said:

What it would do that export dialog does not?

On 10/16/2019 at 12:27 PM, fde101 said:
  • The ability to maintain multiple export presets for a given document.
    • Each should allow the selection of pages and/or sections to be exported together as a unit...  
    • ...This would allow setting up an export for print, another for a PDF to be distributed over the web, etc...
    • ....ability to do a batch export by selecting more than one preset .... in one step.

I was also looking forward for the publisher version of the export persona... The designer-one is very powerful but limited to pixel-output.

A real export persona would have much more space than the tight export-sheet (the tiny more button is so easily overlooked).
Also I like to go back and forth in adjusting settings. A dialog-sheet has to be clicked away, if you only want to check something in your document ("which pages did I want to export...") 

My set of settings per-document would be:

1. In-progress Screen-PDFs
    In the process, each document needs to get proof-read or approved by the client, so I have to tweak a low-res pdf setting which is small enough for email but big enough to look "crisp" which differs from single-page flyers to 24 page brochures. (...printing marks or not, how much bleed...)
  2. Printing-PDFs
    For production, each of my documents basically go to another printing house, which has its own requirement of creating the pdf.
    They also differ in the used paper and its texture, so they need another output intent or color profile. This would basically stay the same for this one document.
  3. Web/Online-PDF
  4. Archiving
    Last there could be another export-setting, which archives all linked files in a predefined sub-folder and documents the job (.txt file with a time-stamped protocol and the used output settings)  

If I would save every tweaked preset in the export dialog, it would grow so fast (in InDesign it's already ca. 100).. 

These last-used settings (per document) should at least be suggested conveniently on top of the output dialog. 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

20 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Not true

Wow, I overlooked that one. Thank you for pointing out!

Although I recently exported an iPhone-App Icon in all required pixel dimensions using the export persona, but as I additionally wanted a SVG, I used the ordinary export-sheet...

edit: I now have to test, how useful exporting a printPDF through the export persona is in the current state.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Sephen said:

an easy/simple Impostion feature

A limited form of this is available now via the Print dialog.

There have been many requests to also make this functionality available from the Export dialog, but so far that hasn't happened.

27 minutes ago, fde101 said:

A limited form of this is available now via the Print dialog.

There have been many requests to also make this functionality available from the Export dialog, but so far that hasn't happened.

Unfortunately it's too limited to be any useful at the moment.

• 2 years later...