You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Russ Foote,

Welcome to the forums :)

As can be seen from our supported RAW list below - 

Unfortunately the EOS R .CR3 files aren't currently compatible with Affinity Photo - however we hope to have your camera supported in a future update.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

however we hope to have your camera supported in a future update.

While you're waiting, you can use Adobe's DNG Converter and work with the DNG files.  The current AP beta has some cr3 support, but not for the EOS R.  CR3 support in AP is provided by LIbraw, the most recent version of which came out a couple of weeks ago and included CR3 support for the first time.  FastRawViewer also uses Libraw and now supports EOS R files so, and this is entirely my personal opinion, I'm wondering if the lack of support in AP is some sort of bug, which may be fixed in a relatively short time.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

12 hours ago, Dean Reardon said:

I understand you are busy but the M50 is a very popular camera and thus the CR3 format is out there and used.

RAW support in AP is provided by Libraw, a third party product.  Until very recently Libraw had no CR3 support, so AP (among others) couldn't handle it.  Serif's workload isn't the issue! 

• 2 months later...

I wish Affinity would talk about the supported cameras and files on the Affinity Photo page.   It says "Full RAW Development" and then under Tech Specs it says "Modern Camera RAW Formats Supported".   Nowhere is there an asterisk to let people know there may be limitations.  I'm also running the last version of Affinity Photo  1.7     I used to LOVE Affinity Photo.  As of right now its just another outdated program I cannot use since it can't support Modern Camera RAW Formats like it says under "Tech Specs"    So yeah, anyone with a Canon EOS R will be wasting there money until Affinity Photo can get the support added.

The beta version of Photo 1.8 will open the CR3 files from my new Canon PowerShot SX70 HS.  My camera is also listed under the lens corrections available.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 hours ago, AlienMan said:

I wish Affinity would talk about the supported cameras and files on the Affinity Photo page.   It says "Full RAW Development" and then under Tech Specs it says "Modern Camera RAW Formats Supported".   Nowhere is there an asterisk to let people know there may be limitations. 

It does have this:

image.png.06f67e095bc4501a8403da54295891a2.png

which links to:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...

Subject - RAW CR3 Canon 90D

I bought a Canon 90D unbeknown to me that when I transferred my photos from the card to my computer (macOS High Sierra) it automatically transferred my photos with an Affinity icon.  These photos do not open in mac Finder and I am having to find other ways to see them, which is time consuming and a pain in the butt.  If I had known this I would probably not have bought the Canon 90D, even though its a good camera.  Is there a solution to this problem.

Your files weren't transferred with an icon - the default program to open cr3 files on your Mac is AP  You just need to change the default.  I'm not a Mac user so I can't tell you how - it should be simple though!

18 hours ago, IanSG said:

Your files weren't transferred with an icon - the default program to open cr3 files on your Mac is AP  You just need to change the default.  I'm not a Mac user so I can't tell you how - it should be simple though!

There are many web articles that explain how to do this. Searching on "macOS change default app" will find lots of them, for example this iMore one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, Lynne Stowe said:

Subject - RAW CR3 Canon 90D

I bought a Canon 90D unbeknown to me that when I transferred my photos from the card to my computer (macOS High Sierra) it automatically transferred my photos with an Affinity icon.  These photos do not open in mac Finder and I am having to find other ways to see them, which is time consuming and a pain in the butt.  If I had known this I would probably not have bought the Canon 90D, even though its a good camera.  Is there a solution to this problem.

The MacOS versions RAW engine you use (Apple High Sierra) doesn't has build in Canon 90D support (see here). Canon 90D support has been added by Apple itself since macOS Mojave (see here).

Thus your HighSierra Mac Finder (quickview etc.) as default doesn't handle those 90D RAWs files and would need the help of another app here which knows and can deal with the RAWs of that cam. The latest versions of the by Affinity Photo used RAW engine (libRAW) claims to support a Canon 90D (for by APh supported cams see here).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2