You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Beta 1.8.0.486 lens profile missing

Hi,

Am using AP Beta 1.8.0.486 & found James' great video on adding in lens profiles.

I followed it to add in my Sigma 18-300mm lens which was included in the profile.

However, when opening a RAW file, there is no lens profile.

Here's a screenshot showing the inclusion of the profile file, the lens itself & lens profile distortion box revealing none.

Any ideas as to what I need to do?

Thanks so much,

Julie.image.thumb.png.39e549cfb49a873293d28927de7b4503.png

Thanks Laurentia for trying to help me out.

I got the version of lensfun you quote & yes, the lens is in there.

I now have this version & AF still says there's no lens profile???????????

(I also shoot with a pretty standard Canon wide angle lens which is recognised by AP).

I am confused????

Julie :-)

Hi Julie,

Unfortunately, I do not have good news for you ...
I tried with your photo without result. Then I tried to reproduce the issue with one of my lenses that does not appear in the lensfun database, a Nikkor 28-105 AFD zoom. I get exactly the same problem as you (with darktable using the same lensfun file, I could recognize it)!
I deduce that this procedure is inoperative on Windows, the video being made with Mac OS.
At this point, only a developer can trace the problem.
It should also be known that the maintainer of the lensfun base has big problems of disponibility and because of this, lensfun is updated with big delays and the procedure is quite forbidding. 
In addition, in lensfun, your Sigma lens has been tested with a Sony and not a Canon. The APSC crop factor for Canon is 1.6 while it is 1.5 for other brands. As a result, the distortion values would be a bit distorted. There is also a conflict in your image at the level of the exifs and the maker notes, in these last appears the zoom 75-300 Canon while it is the Sigma which appears in the exifs ...
Sorry for not being able to help you ... the hand is to the developers.

That's wonderful news Chris, thanks :-)

Let me know if there's any information I can help with.

The lens has been around for quite a while so had assumed it would have been picked up by v1.7 but seems it relates to Lensfun more than AF?

Thanks

Julie. 

• Staff

Hey Julie,

It looks like the slr-sigma.xml file doesn't contain the exact lens you're using. 

The xml file contains:
Sigma DT 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro but not Sigma DT 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HS so you could fudge the XML and add the OS HS at the end and it should work. Alternatively, keep your eye out for the next Photo beta because you should be able to select the 'close enough' profile which would be the Sigma DT 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro. I'm told this is a new feature in the next beta.

1 hour ago, juliep said:

but seems it relates to Lensfun more than AF?

It would seem so! We will still be looking into it though. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Hey Julie,

It looks like the slr-sigma.xml file doesn't contain the exact lens you're using. 

The xml file contains:
Sigma DT 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro but not Sigma DT 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HS so you could fudge the XML and add the OS HS at the end and it should work.

Hi Chris B,
unfortunately, it does not work. I tried this including with the exact syntax that appears in the exifs ie the original HSM termination and several other combinaisons. In any case it did not work and it seems that there is a problem with the procedure under Windows.
This is good news if the next beta improves this.

lensfun-2.jpg

lensfun-3.jpg

Canon-sigma-1.jpg

• Staff
12 minutes ago, laurentia said:

This is good news if the next beta improves this.

It would be preferable to wait for this. There are some brilliant improvements coming to this area of the app. I'd be interested to hear your feedback once it is available. 

• Staff

In addition, in lensfun, your Sigma lens has been tested with a Sony and not a Canon. The APSC crop factor for Canon is 1.6 while it is 1.5 for other brands. As a result, the distortion values would be a bit distorted

Just wanted to add, we actually compensate for this when the two crop factors differ.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:14 PM, Tom Lachecki said:

Just wanted to add, we actually compensate for this when the two crop factors differ.

Hi Tom,

it's true when the distortion is linear all over the field, but some lenses are known for their distortion in mustache (especially wide angle) and in this case it does not work very well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,
there is a DNG file converted from CR2 RAW by Adobe DNG Converter. The Camera is a Canon Powershot G10. The camera/lens is not detected by AffPhoto beta 1.8.0.486 but Adobe does it. I've copied as descriebed by James the file "compact-canon.xml".

Regards, Uwe

Adobe_G10.jpg

AffPhoto_beta_1.8.0.486_G10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 4:15 PM, Chris B said:

It would be preferable to wait for this. There are some brilliant improvements coming to this area of the app. I'd be interested to hear your feedback once it is available. 

Hi Chris,

with the new beta 514, juliep's example works in manual lens selection without adding a lensfun file, but does not work in automatic selection.

AF b514- lensprofile.jpg

Wow, just DLed the latest Beta version & have indeed manually selected the lens which is great.

However, I thought that incorporating the lens profile, chromatic aberration would be achieved & hopefully defringing. Does this always have to be manually selected?

Am sure that using a 'known' Canon lens, chromatic aberration was at least taken care of?

Thanks all

Julie. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.