You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Straight line tool

I am really missing a straight line tool a lot! I often have to draw along photos or make free drawings and the thing most often comes up is straight lines. Right now I have to put a point on the beginning and then a double point at the end and only after that I see where the line goes.

A line tool (like in FreeHand) would show the line after the first click right along where the cursor goes, and so I have perfect control over where to put the end point. All that I am missing a lot in Affinity.

Yes of course it does. You can even click without shift and get a straight line. But that is not the point. You still need a doubleclick at the end and don't see where the line is going until you have set the endpoint. It is far from the ease of a line tool when you need to set a lot such lines.

Do you mean the “rubber band” Mode that the Pen Tool has? That displays a blue line to show you how the line will looke like before you click.

Best regards!

6 hours ago, Thomahawk said:

Yes of course it does. You can even click without shift and get a straight line. But that is not the point. You still need a doubleclick at the end and don't see where the line is going until you have set the endpoint. It is far from the ease of a line tool when you need to set a lot such lines.

Not if you put it in line mode - look at the "Mode" settings on the context toolbar; you want this one:

image.png.4840e583dcbcd352ffc3d0c16a0a8a95.png

42 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Not if you put it in line mode - look at the "Mode" settings on the context toolbar; you want this one:

image.png.4840e583dcbcd352ffc3d0c16a0a8a95.png

I don't see the line until I click on the end-point (or, at least, the 2nd node), unless I also have Rubber Band Mode activated:

image.png.b3c4484f974056b3a57c2e33c0b5a778.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

I drag the line when using that tool, not two clicks.

Ah. Thanks! I hadn't tried that, or had forgotten it. Yes, I think that could provide the solution that @Thomahawk is looking for.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1