You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG: Affinity Photo High Pass Filter Add Grid to Images

This was the bug I was referring to earlier.  If you use the high pass filter, even though you have the grid turned off, it places the grid on the image regardless.  And when you save the image it has a grid on it.  See screenshots for when in editing mode.  This started with the last update and the current one has not fixed it.

Screenshot 2019-10-13 14.46.30.png

Screenshot 2019-10-13 14.46.38.png

Anyone?  I cannot use high pass as it keeps adding grid lines to the images.  Please see the video.  The other issue has resolved.  But this one persists.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5x00612on1xsafy/Recording %23124.mp4?dl=0

I know it is hard to see in the video, but here are some screenshots from an image I am working on.  Again if I use high pass I get this continually.  I am on a Mac.  I also changed color mode and it is pronounced.  If I export to an image it displays on image.  

Screenshot 2019-10-15 02.23.41.png

Screenshot 2019-10-15 02.23.50.png

Screenshot 2019-10-15 02.23.59.png

Screenshot 2019-10-15 02.24.13.png

Edited by WalkInVerse
more images

Hi,

I don't get any kind of grid showing when i use the High pass filter, this looks like the layer at the top of your stack, shown on the screen shot: 'rule-of-thirds-phi-grid', is there a chance that this layer is duplicated somewhere and isn't unchecked? Maybe the High pass filter still detects it? What happens when you delete that layer?

22 hours ago, summersara said:

Hi,

I don't get any kind of grid showing when i use the High pass filter, this looks like the layer at the top of your stack, shown on the screen shot: 'rule-of-thirds-phi-grid', is there a chance that this layer is duplicated somewhere and isn't unchecked? Maybe the High pass filter still detects it? What happens when you delete that layer?

The gird lines move and do not line up to any grid.  It is weird. It only happens on high key images.  

• Staff

Can you check Preferences > Performance and if you have Hardware Acceleration turned on, please turn off and try. Also let me know which layer you're applying the Live High Pass filter to from your screenshots. 

21 hours ago, Lee D said:

Can you check Preferences > Performance and if you have Hardware Acceleration turned on, please turn off and try. Also let me know which layer you're applying the Live High Pass filter to from your screenshots. 

It is not checked and it is with any hi-key images.  Ones with white or light backgrounds, any of them.

Screenshot 2019-10-17 01.47.56.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you absolutely need a HighPass filter for you to continue work and the AP filter is buggy for you, its possible to make one the manual way.

1. Duplicate image (or Merge Visible)
  2. Desaturate
  3. Duplicate and invert, reduce Opacity to 50%
  4. Set the inverted top layer to 'Linear Light' (this will turn everything grey)
  5. Add Gaussian Blur to the top layer until the edges appear
  6. Merge down
  7. Set the final HighPass layer to Overlay and adjust Opacity to taste

You can also make it into a live HighPass layer by working with a group.

2 hours ago, ESPR said:

If you absolutely need a HighPass filter for you to continue work and the AP filter is buggy for you, its possible to make one the manual way.

1. Duplicate image (or Merge Visible)
  2. Desaturate
  3. Duplicate and invert, reduce Opacity to 50%
  4. Set the inverted top layer to 'Linear Light' (this will turn everything grey)
  5. Add Gaussian Blur to the top layer until the edges appear
  6. Merge down
  7. Set the final HighPass layer to Overlay and adjust Opacity to taste

You can also make it into a live HighPass layer by working with a group.

That won't work and as this is an actual bug it needs to be addressed.  After I use sharpening I use the high pass to hit is slightly.  On all high key images, it shows a freaking grid.  It just started with the last two releases.  Again the HIGH PASS leaves a GRID on all high key images so it cannot be used.  On non hi-key there are no issues.

ESPR's technique does work. It's a manual way of applying the "high pass sharpening". I've tried to replicate your issue and can not.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 hours ago, Ron P. said:

ESPR's technique does work. It's a manual way of applying the "high pass sharpening". I've tried to replicate your issue and can not.

Hi Ron, unfortunately on my MAC BOOK PRO as I still get those gridlines no matter what I do.  What I did do a while ago was turn on the internal grid in affinity and then turned it off.  And ever since then, with the updates, I get grids on all MY HIGH KEY images.  And there is NOTHING I can do to resolve it.  Pretty frustrated.

it's just a guess, that the function Show Grid is activated?
Disable the function Show Grid and look what happens.

cheers

Show Grid.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Very strange indeed, I can not reproduce this problem, because the high-pass filter works well here.
Could you please for testing, a section of one of the problem image provide, as JPG-File.

Cheers

I think the problem is the white background.
The pattern of the lines is too uniform for me.
So my guess is that the lines are on the white background and be amplified by the high pass filter.
Try the following, create a new white layer and draw with the brush in a different color some lines.
Sharpen the layer with the high pass filter and look what happens.
I'm curious to your report.

Cheers

It is not the background.  I use a seamless white roll of paper.  Also, I have been a software developer for 30 years.  This is a bug in the software itself.  We really need someone from affinity to look at this.  It started only after I turned on their grid.  I turned their grid off and this nightmare started.  Never had it before and been photographing like this for a long time.  My setup has not changed, their updates have.   Also, that is not a white layer.  I place the products directly on the background and photograph them.  If you look at the image the lines run through the image, not under it.  This means that something with the high pass is overlaying.  How do you get support for the paid app?  I really need someone to help.  I mean a month and no one from the affinity team is helping?  It is a bit frustrating.  Here is another screenshot with my image on top of the background (white) with the high pass and no lines. The only time it happens if you have a high key image fulling the layer completely as shown in the previous test.  Also in the previous test, I have also changed the background multiple times.  It is not the background.  Again, this is a bug in the software.

And this is proof it is a bug.  If you export the images after you make your setting.  Then apply the highpass on the newly exported image.  NO LINES!  You only get the lines if you use the high pass on the source image.

Screenshot 2019-11-17 12.42.13.png

My feeling is this a grid bug, on the Mac with your combo of filters and adjustments and after using the grid after an update, im on Windows so can't test, i think this post should be moved to the Bugs forums, have you tried resetting the program or reinstalling?