You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

learning from the new videos

Just been watching the image v pixel video tutorial and found it frustrating.

I have two screens and run Affinity Photo on one and the video on the other. I try to carry out the actions in the video on my copy of Affinity, pausing as required.

But the pointer in the video is very small, its difficult sometimes to see where it has been moved too. The text in the video is small, and sometimes does not fill the screen, because it has not been maximised when filmed.

Also for me I find you go on too quickly to introduce the ‘bells and whistles’ of a feature before I have absorbed the basic concept.

Could you please provide a link to the tutorial? I've tried finding it on Serif's website and can not.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Could you please provide a link to the tutorial? I've tried finding it on Serif's website and can not.

I think it might be this one:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@juliang,

Are you monitors High Def? I've watched the video (thanks to @Alfred finding it), and making the video full screen the text and cursor does not seem small. Also one of the greatest things with video, you can pause, rewind, and then replay them as many times as you want.

This video seems to be just about demonstrating and explaining the difference between pixel and image layers. What @James Ritson does is show you what each way of inserting/opening an image in AP results in how the file is treated. Using File>Open the image is a Pixel layer and the pixels can be manipulated. Drag-drop, copy-paste and it is labeled, image layer and the pixels can not be manipulated. In order to manipulate/alter the pixels in an image layer, it must be converted (Rasterize) to a pixel layer. When you use File>Open, the image is automatically Rasterized.

There's really no technique to learn with that tutorial video. Just a good explanation of the different types of layers AP uses.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

It is worth noting that New from clipboard creates an image layer. Because I am not a big user of photo, publisher being my main tool, I sometimes forget this when I am looking at the forum and want to try out techniques. For instance the recent one about the image with a girls hair selection. So having a bit of time on my hands I right clicked and copied image and the open photo and selected new form clip board. Not picking up the fact that is an image layer I choose the selection brush go round the main image then go to refine and go through the process of refining the selection and then apply, only to find I have done all this work for nothing as I cannot change that image. Is there a warning feature that I have turned off in assistant that stops me being warned this image cannot be altered when a choose the selection brush? if not it would be helpful

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

17 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

Not picking up the fact that is an image layer I choose the selection brush go round the main image then go to refine and go through the process of refining the selection and then apply, only to find I have done all this work for nothing as I cannot change that image.

No, you haven’t done all that work for nothing. If you rasterize the main image layer your selection will remain, and you can then duplicate the selection to put a copy of the selected pixels on a new layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)