You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I know if a document is imported or opened from the cloud?

If you imported it you either used File > Place or drag/drop or copy/paste to get it into an existing document.

That will give you (depending on the kind of file you imported, and your document preferences), a layer that will show up in the Layers Panel as (Image) or (Linked Document) or (Embedded Document).

You will see something similar in the Move Tool's Context Toolbar when you have the object selected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's the same thing. Look in the Layers panel, and on the Context Toolbar.

When you import it's always into a document that already exists, and the object you're importing always comes in as a layer with a tag in the Layers panel that says what it is, or on the Context Toolbar when the object is selected and you're using the Move Tool.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

No.

From the files screen, tapping on + leads to the screen where I can either import or open an existing file. 'Import' makes a copy. 'Open' opens the original file. Watch the video.

You can't see the taps, but I first import, then open a file from Dropbox.

I can't find an indicator to tell them apart. Saving the imported file will save it in a different folder on iCloud. Saving the opened file will overwrite the original. Knowing what will happen to which is important.

Thanks for the added information. Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.

Someone more familiar with the apps on iPad will have to answer.

-- Walt
PC:

8 hours ago, Rocketdrive said:

Once I import (=make working copy) or open (=edit original) an existing affinity file from the cloud: is there a way to tell which way it came into appAffinity? It makes quite a difference.

Only when you save, if it says 

Saving "Filename" as "Filename.afphoto" to "iCloud Drive" then this was an imported file being saved to the default auto created Affinity Photo folder in iCloud.

but if it says

Saving "Filename" as "Filename.afphoto" then it is saving the file back to where it was opened from.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 4 weeks later...