Rocketdrive

How do I know if a document is imported or opened from the cloud?

Once I import (=make working copy) or open (=edit original) an existing affinity file from the cloud: is there a way to tell which way it came into appAffinity? It makes quite a difference.

Edited by Rocketdrive
Clarify that I mean affinity documents

If you imported it you either used File > Place or drag/drop or copy/paste to get it into an existing document.

That will give you (depending on the kind of file you imported, and your document preferences), a layer that will show up in the Layers Panel as (Image) or (Linked Document) or (Embedded Document).

You will see something similar in the Move Tool's Context Toolbar when you have the object selected.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

It's the same thing. Look in the Layers panel, and on the Context Toolbar.

When you import it's always into a document that already exists, and the object you're importing always comes in as a layer with a tag in the Layers panel that says what it is, or on the Context Toolbar when the object is selected and you're using the Move Tool.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

No.

From the files screen, tapping on + leads to the screen where I can either import or open an existing file. 'Import' makes a copy. 'Open' opens the original file. Watch the video.

You can't see the taps, but I first import, then open a file from Dropbox.

I can't find an indicator to tell them apart. Saving the imported file will save it in a different folder on iCloud. Saving the opened file will overwrite the original. Knowing what will happen to which is important.

Thanks for the added information. Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.

Someone more familiar with the apps on iPad will have to answer.

-- Walt

8 hours ago, Rocketdrive said:

Once I import (=make working copy) or open (=edit original) an existing affinity file from the cloud: is there a way to tell which way it came into appAffinity? It makes quite a difference.

Only when you save, if it says 

Saving "Filename" as "Filename.afphoto" to "iCloud Drive" then this was an imported file being saved to the default auto created Affinity Photo folder in iCloud.

but if it says

Saving "Filename" as "Filename.afphoto" then it is saving the file back to where it was opened from.

Affinity Photo 1.7, Designer 1.7, Publisher 1.7 on MACOS Catalina Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" iPadOS 13 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/