You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Version of Affinity Designer

Hey,

Not more ridiculous that requesting a version for Windows ( :P), I wish you port Affinitiy Designer on iPad with a specific Touch UI.

Not sure how much memory it needs to run, but it would def be a killer App and fit in my workflow.

I know it's prob not appearing soon but you never now, as OSX and iOS are merging and nobody is doing it on iOS for now. Could be a good opportunity to be first, esp with the rumors of 2GB of memory in next iPad ;)

Tschusss  :)

• Staff

Just to add some fuel to this fire, I'll confirm that our focus is absolutely on the Mac versions and making sure we create a genuinely amazing product - something to be proud of. But the iOS version is definitely something that will arrive when we are happy with what we have achieved on OS X... I've had a version on my iPhone and iPad for the last couple of years that has all the tools, reads the documents and works pretty darned well... but it needs a dedicated effort to make the UI really work properly for iOS and we need to concentrate on OS X first. Part of the reason the Mac version is as nippy as it is, is because we optimised all the panning and zooming stuff on an iPad 2! :)

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of purchasing AD for OS X.  One of the things I'm considering when making the purchase is which apps have an iPad version.  

Even if drawing is not great on the iPad, I'd like to do some freehand away from my laptop/desktop.

Even if I would never use it, it would also be nice to have an iPhone version (at least iPhone6+).  Having a presence on multiple devices gives me confidence in the overall product.

• 6 months later...

It's too soon to hope an iPad app will have the full power and features of Affinity.

Even Adobe hasn't figured that out.  CC has some nice interoperability.

Anyone using an ipad for portions of their work should learn to break the job out into parts.

I'm just getting into Affinty Photo & Designer (SO AWESOME) but I've been interoperating between Photoshop and Procreate (ipad).

sometimes you have to export a layer (or a slice) for working on in another app and then bring it back in. Registration is key of course.

Anyway, the point is, there are almost always ways to use some modular workflows when working between platforms.

• Staff

It's too soon to hope an iPad app will have the full power and features of Affinity.

Even Adobe hasn't figured that out.  CC has some nice interoperability.

Interestingly, this is one bit where we've definitely got an undeniable advantage over our competitors... the video that I took of the iPad version running on my iPad Air 2 at Christmas was actually the full version of Designer running on an iPad - every single function that was in the desktop version would work on the iOS version straight away - all we needed to do was add a nice UI and then you'd have an iOS version of Designer that could do everything your desktop version could do - and handoff between desktop and iOS versions at will. We deliberately built a separation between the front-end (that runs on a specific device and presents the UI to the user) and the back-end (that does all the work and contains all the tools and commands) and because of this our back-end builds and runs on the iPad without changing any of its functionality at all :)  We even originally wrote our view pan and zooming on an iPad to make sure it would be fast enough for if we ever decided to release it! :)

The future is going to be very interesting... :)

Thanks,

Matt

• 3 months later...

Interestingly, this is one bit where we've definitely got an undeniable advantage over our competitors... the video that I took of the iPad version running on my iPad Air 2 at Christmas was actually the full version of Designer running on an iPad - every single function that was in the desktop version would work on the iOS version straight away - all we needed to do was add a nice UI and then you'd have an iOS version of Designer that could do everything your desktop version could do - and handoff between desktop and iOS versions at will. We deliberately built a separation between the front-end (that runs on a specific device and presents the UI to the user) and the back-end (that does all the work and contains all the tools and commands) and because of this our back-end builds and runs on the iPad without changing any of its functionality at all :)  We even originally wrote our view pan and zooming on an iPad to make sure it would be fast enough for if we ever decided to release it! :)

The future is going to be very interesting... :)

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt, 

Any news about this iOS version that you could share? Thanks!

2014 MacBook Air 13" Intel Core i7 @ 1.7 GHz (Turbo Boost 3.3 GHz); 8 GB RAM; 500 GB SSD Boot Disk; Intel HD at 1536 MB VRAM.

Hi! I'm here because someone posted the Designer for iPad video on the Procreate (by Savage Interactive) forum. Another person on that thread linked to THIS thread here and I registered just to post on it. Rest assured that we Procreate users are VERY much looking forward to the iPad version of Affinity Designer! We've long been looking for a vector iPad app that is on par, quality-wise, with Procreate (which is the best raster/painting app on the App Store, bar none!). Closest thing we've had thus far has been iDraw by Indeeo, but that app just hasn't received the same level of TLC from its developers and it shows (in fact, it appears to have changed hands and belongs to Autodesk now). Once Designer is released for iPad, it will be THE vector app for iOS. I'm sure you guys at Serif already know that, but it doesn't hurt to hear it from a user who has tried most (if not all) of Designer's major competition apps on iOS. :) I'd be using Designer for Mac right now if my Macbook wasn't in its geriatric stage... no moolah for a new Macbook so I've been doing all my work on iPad. 

Anyway, yes PLEASE update us when you get a chance!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Meb, thanks for the hint.

Drawing on the iPad Pro is almost like working on paper.

Can't wait for Affinity Designer for iPad  ;) !

Please: support at least Apple's pencil and FiftyThree stylus! Specially the FiftyThree stylus offers "analog alike" stylus rubber and blend functions at it's best - they call it "think with your hand". Many thanks in advance!

CU, Roland

Hi Khechog,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There will be an Affinity Designer app for iPad/iPad Pro. It's currently under development but it may still take a little until it's ready.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Affinity Designer for iOS: I volunteer for beta testing :)

Hi Khechog,

There will be an Affinity Designer app for iPad/iPad Pro. It's currently under development but it may still take a little until it's ready.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Khechog,

Hi Meb,

this is such a great news!

If you are still open for an ipad pro + apple pencil beta tester I'd be happy to apply

Cheers

f

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got an iPad Pro and Procreate and other apps have a really good UI, the speed is amazing and I can´t think of anything that can stop making the Affinity apps amazing on an iPad.

File management is suprisingly easy even without a real mac like filesystem and multitasking works great as well!

I also tried Pixelmator but it´s interface did not suite my editing style at all.

Hi Dams,

TonyB already replied to that request. Take a look at this post.

iDraw has currently a version for iPad.

Also it's on iPhone works good on both my iPod 5 gen touch and iPad mini 2 The app is now Autodesk Graphic, I really am anxious to get Affinity Design on at least my iPad mini2. 

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

• Staff

You can somehow already sign up for the beta to be notified as soon as it hits us

https://affinity.serif.com/photo/ipad/

Well the Photo beta anyway, this thread started about Designer for iPad

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon