You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone!
I have opened this thread with the intention of recommending an improvement in geometry tools, generally I have used Adobe illustrator and corel Draw although more corel draw than illustrator xD in fact by the simplicity of their tools especially those of fusion and trimming, I explain...
Having two or more objects and wanting to make an intersection is usually the area where the intersection is formed and the rest is eliminated, isn't it?
in corel the intersection creates a new object (of that intersection) leaving intact the two selected elements, this is very useful to illustrate human figure where sometimes we do not want to lose the elements and rather create a new one.
Another tool and I think that of the best is the back less front and less front behind, usually seems absurd, say (hey but for that I can place the object in front and subtract it from the back, but believe me the practicality of having two buttons summarizes a few steps and is quite comfortable.

and maybe I say it from the perspective of a user who uses mostly coreldraw, but every designer who has tried those tools feels that all other programs should have the same function. (that's what I said when I tried several corel things and decided to change my software) 
affinity has a great power!!
ahhh and forgot to recommend you to use flat icons, I don't know why but I think the user experience could improve a little with them.
Greetings!

tools.jpeg

@irolandricaurte

6 hours ago, Roland Ricaurte said:

in corel the intersection creates a new object (of that intersection) leaving intact the two selected elements, this is very useful to illustrate human figure where sometimes we do not want to lose the elements and rather create a new one.

Hello @Roland Ricaurte,

welcome to the forum.

I think, you are looking for the 'XOR' intersection in AD to accomplish this:

XOR.thumb.png.4e154120a12712066858254fe681dd9b.png

6 hours ago, Roland Ricaurte said:

ahhh and forgot to recommend you to use flat icons, I don't know why but I think the user experience could improve a little with them.
tools.jpeg

In 'Edit > Preferences > User Interface' you can turn on the option 'Monochromatic Iconography' (see my screenshot above). This comes close to what you are asking for ... I think :)

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

Hello Dominik
thank you for your response, I had already tried that option but it is not what I was looking for, usually I do a delineated as follows

I make a shape (underline)

select.jpg.0aba20542d1f7ea87a3bf8d5bd8d9be8.jpg

here I make the intersection mentioned above, notice that the selection I made previously has not disappeared and only a new object has been created (the selected object)

intersec.jpg.c08b4eb2b17ff872db117d9f03ec3d70.jpg

then I can remove the form I had made to create my intersection or reuse it and use the (intersected) object I have created and edit it in any way

result.jpg.b41ff95fda5639544c6c90ac356662f8.jpg

@irolandricaurte

11 hours ago, Roland Ricaurte said:

observes that the intersection has not affected the purple circle, therefore has created a new object

I understand. This is not possible at the moment unless you duplicate the target object first and remove the unwanted parts afterwards. But this is something you want to avoid.

I could think that this and some other tools (like a shape painter or a vector eraser) could be usefull to create and shape vector objects. I am confident that we will see some development in future versions of AD.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil