You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MacOs Desktop Affinity Designer and Photo Stalls/Crashes When trying to open or create a file

What's In My Way

• Affinity Designer opens just fine, but any time I try and create a file or open an existing file.afdesign it stalls/crashes (spinning beachball of death)
  • Appears to be happening in Affinity photo as well.

What i'm rocking?

• Affinity Designer 1.7.3 (started happening after update?)
  • Affinity Photo 1.7.3
  • MacOS 10.14.6

What i've tried

• Searching the Affinity forums for an answer
  • deleting and reinstalling a fresh copy of the app
  • Removing Library -> Application Support folders and Preference Panes
  • Holding control while launching, checking all the boxes, and clearing all data
  • Rebooting my system multiple times
  • Opening directly from file, from file open, from file recent
  • Creating file -> changing to various presets (e.g. web)
  • Reviewing changes in 1.7.3

What I've Attached

• Apple Crash Report.pdf
  • Could not find Affinity Specific crash report (even tried following other threads using Apple's Console.app, no dice)

What's Next

Looks like you guys optimized for Catalina, gonna try updating my OS to see if that helps.

Apple Crash Report.pdf

Edited by Meatch

Alright, its happening again. Even after updating to Catalina it has once again started crashing when attempting to open an affinity designer file - see notes above for conditions of problem.

Please respond as I need to fix this as soon as possible, looming deadlines and all.

## What's In My Way?
Same symptoms : Affinity Designer opens just fine, but any time I try and create a file or open an existing file.afdesign it stalls/crashes (spinning beachball of death)

## What i'm rocking?
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 (started happening after update?)
Affinity Photo 1.7.3
MacOS 10.15

## What I've tried
* Systematically tuning off apps and seeing if it works (including those in my system tray, upper right)
* Rebooting my system multiple times
* Deleting and reinstalling a fresh copy of the app
* Tried downgrading to 7.1
* Removing Library -> Application Support folders and Preference Panes
* Holding control while launching, checking all the boxes, and clearing all data
* Opening directly from file, from file open, from file recent
* Creating file -> changing to various presets (e.g. web)

## What finally worked but is not a long term solution
I disconnected my external monitor and opned directly on my laptop.
Not sure why this allowed it to open.

## Please advise.
Please review the Crash report and Advise, I would really like to get this working.

Attached crash report to last post.

• Staff

Hi Meatch,

Just wanted to say we are following this thread (i'm also the person dealing with your email ticket on this).  Thanks for providing as much info as you have and as soon as i have an update on the issue, i'll be sure to post here and drop you an email :)

• Staff

Hi Meatch,

Can you confirm a couple of things for me?  What make and model is your 2nd screen and what the scaling settings and resolution it's using?

Also in Preferences on Performance, what is the Display section set to?  If it's on OpenGL can you change it to Metal and then try opening a file/starting a new document.

Also have you had any issue with Affinity Photo?

Sure thing. 

Monitor
Samsung CF791 Series 34-Inch Curved Widescreen Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1D7JVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB-C Hub
Wavlink Universal USB-C/USB 3.0 Ultra 5K Laptop Docking Station with 4K Dual Video Outputs ,Support for Windows 7/ 8/ 8.1/ 10(USB-C in,DP and HDMI,Gigabit Ethernet,Audio out and Mic in,6 USB 3.0 Port)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5B7BDD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Resolution and scaling

• 3440 x 1440
  • Refresh Rate 50 Herts

Preferences -> Performance (Do you mean energy saver) -> Display

Power Adapter

• Turn off display after 10 minutes
  • Put hard disks to sleep when possible
  • Wake for Wi-Fi Network Access
  • Enable powernap

Graphics Displays Under System report

•   Chipset Model: Intel UHD Graphics 630
  •   Type: GPU
  •   Bus: Built-In
  •   VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
  •   Vendor: Intel
  •   Device ID: 0x3e9b
  •   Revision ID: 0x0000
  •   Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
  •   gMux Version: 5.0.0
  •   Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Gotcha, I think you were talking about within Affinity Designer.

Ok, now when I open with my Dual monitor it is working again, so I am unable tot test if changing to Metal will solve. If it stops working again I will try it.

Affinity Photo is working again as well. My experience has been when one stops so does the other. If it stalls again I will try both apps and report back.

• Staff
8 hours ago, Meatch said:

I changed setting from OpenGl to Metal and it started working again.

Thats good to know.  There was mention of OpenGL in the crash report.  Now it's set to Metal, lets see if it happens again :) 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Recently installed Catalina and had terrible time getting Mac to work OK. Many apps didn't work including Affinity products. After a lot of deleting and re-installing managed to get Catalina OK (fingers crossed). But, still a little trouble with Designer, hung up on loading screen. Slow to close loading screen and couldn't switch off the loading screen option.

To make matters worse I thought I would re-install all three apps. When I looked on my account I could only find Publisher. I was involved in the Beta testing of all three products and purchased them through the Affinity web-site. So why are they missing? I would like to re-install but can not at the moment.