You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RW2 issue when i open the picture

The preview is probably showing you the jpeg thumbnail inside the raw file. When you Open the file you see the actual raw data.

Two things might be happening while looking at the actual raw data:

1. Affinity Photo displays more data around the edges of the sensor than other programs do, giving you more data (a larger picture) than the pixel dimensions that your camera maker advertised. This is intentional, and the Serif developers expect you to crop that data if you decide it is not useful to you.
  2. You have some vignetting that you need to remove. A lens adjustment in the Develop Persona may handle that, if Photo recognizes your lens. Or the Remove Lens Vignette adjustment may do it.

Or it may be a combination of the two.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

From your first screenshot, I assume that by "preview option" you mean the Mac OS Quick Look feature. If so, this feature uses the "Apple (Core Image RAW)" RAW Engine to display a 'pre-developed' version of the file.

There are several differences between the Serif & Apple engines, among them that the Apple engine offers none of the options the Serif one does & does not rely on the Lensfun database like the Serif one does for camera-specific adjustments, instead relying on system-level support for RAW formats built into the OS (like this list for Mojave), augmented by Camera RAW Compatibility updates Apple issues from time to time.

Affinity Photo for Mac gives you a choice of engines through the Develop Assistant, as explained in the last section of the Developing a raw image using Develop Persona help topic. If you switch to the Apple Engine, the results should be the same as with Quick Look.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks to all of you for your response

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

Affinity Photo for Mac gives you a choice of engines through the Develop Assistant, as explained in the last section of the Developing a raw image using Develop Persona help topic. If you switch to the Apple Engine, the results should be the same as with Quick Look.

I switched to Apple Engine but the frame is still on the photo.

I don't know why I see this frame, and I don't understand why some raw have it and others no. (I send you another raw without the frame)

P1020039.RW2

8 hours ago, Robylisi said:

I switched to Apple Engine but the frame is still on the photo.

I don't know why I see this frame, and I don't understand why some raw have it and others no. (I send you another raw without the frame)

Thanks for the new image. Could you give us the .rw2 file you first inquired about, too?

Also, earlier I forgot to say: Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Lens correction is disabled when I open your file. Enable it and the frame will disappear.

Edit: Hmm, this is the second image here in the forums where I have the impression that the image looks better without Lens Correction.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Lens correction is disabled when I open your file. Enable it and the frame will disappear.

Lens corrections can be enabled or disabled by default in the Develop Assistant:

1542959506_DevelopAssistant.jpg.d3cec1229c81331219b827a2212dc9ae.jpg

Also, when I switch RAW engines to the "Apple (Core Image RAW)" one on my iMac, I get exactly the same results as when the default lens corrections are applied with the Serif Labs engine, or when opening the RAW file in Preview.app -- the vignetting/lens distortion is always removed.

The only way I can find to prevent this is to disable lens corrections when using the Serif Labs engine in AP.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This is weird. I have Lens Correction enabled by default, but when I first opened the above file the Lens Correction was disabled and the "frame" was shown. ???

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed