You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Learned Spelling underlined in red

thetasig

OS X 10.13.6, AFPUB  1.7.3.

I noted that the word "Rec" as in "rec room" was learned and no longer has a red line underneath.

However, in a different part of the document "rec" is spelled with a lower-case "r" - this has a red "spelling error" line under it. And, when I try to "learn spelling" that option is not available. Instead, the option to "unlearn spelling" is presented.

So AFPUB thinks that word has been "learned" but still underlines in red the lower-case version. Catch-22.

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 4.34.40 PM.png

Publisher does not behave that way for me, on Windows.

So either you've found a Mac-specific issue, or something specific to your document.

Does it happen in another document?

Can you share a document where it happens?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This was something I came across quite a bit when I was doing newsletters and brochures for self care and medical complaints. I use windows 10 .  I just ignored it. It only does it if the word has already been typed i.e. you do retrospective spell check and learn one of the words then the one with the lowercase still shows underlined and as said you cannot learn it only unlearn it if you right click new typing does not show as misspelled 

image.png.d2c02d0a74d561e0f8c89a449cb74cfe.pngimage.png.80282a531a7d8b3edf7cf1dbd2043ab9.png

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:21 PM, thomaso said:

n the menu  Text > Spelling  you have the additional "Ignore Misspelt Word" option.

22 hours ago, thetasig said:

Um, not sure what you mean. I did not have that option.

I don't think this is relevant to the problem reported, but as for finding the missing "Ignore Misspelt Word" option, it might be a case that the option isn't found with the Help search that thomaso pointed out because of different English spelling of "misspelled." US English, for example:

270613719_ScreenShot2019-10-14at8_38_13AM.png.b61f565c2875c9b118e9a5905112d4ce.png

But back to the problem, if I have understood the issue, then I think this video below confirms the problem. After learning "Rec" (with capital), "rec" (with lower case) still shows as misspelled, even though it gives the option to "unlearn" it.

• Staff

Thanks for reporting this, from what I've read here and seen when looking at it it doesn't indeed seem to be Mac specific, and seems fine if a word is typed in after it has been learnt, it only happens on existing words.

I've logged this.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 years later...

A lot of the replies here seem to miss the point of the problem. This is a software or interface bug. I have noticed using Affinity Publisher in Windows 10, if I tell publisher to learn a word where the word is capitalized, instances of the same word not capitalized will be hi-lited as spelling error. When that occurs, the only choice in the drop down list is "unlearn". This is wrong. "Ignore misspelt word" mentioned above, is a work around, but is also wrong because the word is not misspelt and because that choice is not in the pop-up menu that appears when clicking on the word. Why make the user go off to some other menu and then select a false statement?

1. The obvious bug is that Affinity Publisher recognizes the word has been learned, and then asks to unlearn it. If it recognizes the word is learned -why flag it at all? I certainly don't want it to "unlearn" the word I just taught it minutes before.

2. If the problem is that Affinity publisher thinks a change in the case of the first letter is an error, why offer to "unlearn" the word? Why not still provide the normal option of "learn word" with the change in case of the first letter?

3. I do understand that in German language all nouns have the first letter in capital letter -so it's not irrational if a word unknown to Affinity is learned with a capital letter it would flag a lower case version. But it is still irrational to not have the option to just select "learn word" when that occurs. Since Affinity sees the upper case version and the lower case version as different -learn both.

Seriously this is a bug.

Simple fix:

Always keep the "learn word option" for when Affinity get confused by the first letter being a different case than what it learned. It's now 2022 and this bug still exists. Take a few minutes and fix it please.

Windows 10, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342, i7-5820k, 6 cores,3.3GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070