You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine preview quite a bit different from mask?

Bussty

I have been looking at ways to effectively mask things like trees and then adjust the background so you can increase contrast, gamma etc in the sky without affecting the foreground. I have tried Remask from Topaz which is pretty good but thought I would try Affinity which is my core image editor.

MY METHOD

• Using the selection brush I make a loose selection of the sky around the trees 
  • I then invert the selection
  • I then hit Refine
  • Using the Matt brushes and foreground and background modes I then tidy up the selection so only the tree is selected 
  • Using a black background in the Refine tool the trees look pretty good (see attached) In fact a better result than I can achieve using Topaz Remask and faster.

MY PROBLEM

So now I have the really good selection I need to transfer that into my final image so I...

• Hit apply
  • Now I have a selection of just the trees
  • To test how good this is and recreate the result of using the black background in the Refine tool I convert the selection to a mask. In my mind this shoud duplicate the effect of the selection including transparency
  • Then I load a pure black pixel layer beneath the masked layer
  • The result is attached

As you can see the selection as a mask appears quite a bit different from the refine preview window with lots of bleed coming through. Am I doing something wrong? Am I wrong to expect the mask to replicate the preview window in Refine? It seems if the preview can do it why can't I replicate in the final image? 

I really enjoyed selecting a tricky subject like this in Affinity and would really like to get this right.

What am I doing wrong? or Is there a deficiency in Affinity?

Many thanks 

Andrew Busst

masked.PNG

refine window.PNG

• Staff

Hey Andrew,

This looks like a bug to me. I've just had a scan through our reported bugs database and I believe this is similar to something we already have logged. I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong, to be honest, but I'll be passing all this information to the developers.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:21 PM, Chris B said:

I've just had a scan through our reported bugs database and I believe this is similar to something we already have logged.

Maybe you mean this contribution from me (I explain the problem in point 2.). But it was not the first time I reported the problem. Unfortunately nothing has happened so far :35_thinking:.
Until the problem is solved, I recommend @Bussty (and everyone else) to use the output as layer, because the output as mask or selection is not usable.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Michail said:

Maybe you mean this contribution from me

Correct!

5 minutes ago, Michail said:

Unfortunately nothing has happened so far

Sadly I have no control over what gets addressed :( It has been bumped again with this post.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:21 PM, Chris B said:

This looks like a bug to me. I've just had a scan through our reported bugs database and I believe this is similar to something we already have logged. I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong, to be honest, but I'll be passing all this information to the developers.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:49 AM, Michail said:

Until the problem is solved, I recommend @Bussty (and everyone else) to use the output as layer, because the output as mask or selection is not usable.

Thanks both Chris and Michail hope it's something Affinity can sort. Cheers Bussty