You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White balance not as good as photoshop

Hi,

I noticed that Photoshop has far better and more realistic white balance correction abilities. Affinity's white balance seems to give weird results that aren't true to life. Here I have set both to an extreme value of -100%. 

Unfourtantly, because of this, I have to keep photoshop installed to make white balance corrections since Affinity cannot do it correctly.

How to reproduce: Use any regular JPG image, open each photo in affinity and photoshop, and compared the difference when you slide the white balance.

l1Bqvy5Ijo.jpg

• Staff

Hey KarnbirR,

There are a few things to note here. The first thing is that I have no idea how you achieved the White Balance in Photoshop as there are a few ways to go about it. Secondly, I assume you're comparing Photoshop's Colour Balance to Affinity Photo's White Balance (when Affinity Photo has its own Colour Balance adjustment).

Also, I don't think you can directly compare settings from one app to another as the scale can differ greatly.

It is also worth noting that when using raw images, Affinity Photo's Develop Persona will use Kelvin and will give different results to its Photo Persona. The White Balance values between Develop Persona and Camera Raw are also different.

Did you just begin with JPEG's or did you start with a raw format? We could do with the files if we were to investigate this further.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:21 AM, Chris B said:

Hey KarnbirR,

There are a few things to note here. The first thing is that I have no idea how you achieved the White Balance in Photoshop as there are a few ways to go about it. Secondly, I assume you're comparing Photoshop's Colour Balance to Affinity Photo's White Balance (when Affinity Photo has its own Colour Balance adjustment).

Also, I don't think you can directly compare settings from one app to another as the scale can differ greatly.

It is also worth noting that when using raw images, Affinity Photo's Develop Persona will use Kelvin and will give different results to its Photo Persona. The White Balance values between Develop Persona and Camera Raw are also different.

Did you just begin with JPEG's or did you start with a raw format? We could do with the files if we were to investigate this further.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. In photoshop I use CameraRawFilter, for affinity either Develop persona or white balance filter give the same results.

I do agree it's difficult to compare slider values from one app to another.

I'm a 3D artist, all of my images are normally saved in PNG in production. Sometimes I need to do white balance fixes in Affinity or Photoshop. I believe Photoshop's white balance is much more accurate than Affinity's. I have attached a short video showing exactly what I do and ill attach my source file as well :)

White Balance.jpg

And i found raw processor and camera own white balance feature do different results.  generally camera wins i use Fuji X-t20 and my older cameras are much poorer (Nikonn D300s and D80) with white balance. is suprsing how even exact same data what i talk first can result different results. Methods are indeed much different in different places. and my point is sometimes other tool can be better even is generally another one.

• Staff

Hey KarnbirR,

I've just compared the White Balance Tool from 1.6 to 1.7 and 1.8 beta and the White Balance in 1.6 seemed (to me) to be working better than it does in 1.7 and 1.8 beta.

I know we made some changes but the difference I'm seeing is quite dramatic. I saved your sample image with a White Balance adjustment in 1.6 and opened it in 1.8 beta and it looks the same as 1.6. However, we now preview old adjustments using a legacy feature. The problem is, as soon as you touch the slider, you get the legacy warning toast and the adjustment updates itself to use the new method. 

The fact it looks drastically different is enough for me to query this will the developers.

• Staff

I've just noticed that you're going from the Pixel Persona with a rasterised image into the Develop Persona. When you do this, the White Balance mimics the Photo Personas adjustment layer. If you use a raw file, do you get a different result?

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've just noticed that you're going from the Pixel Persona with a rasterised image into the Develop Persona. When you do this, the White Balance mimics the Photo Personas adjustment layer. If you use a raw file, do you get a different result?

In my workflow I do not use RAW files, I normally just use PNG format. I can either use the develop persona or just use the white balance filter without rasterizing my image. They both give the same result. Photoshop's camera raw white balance has always worked a lot better. This is why my first post is showing extreme values to make it clear how different Affinity's approach is compared to Photoshops. 

Here is a random file I pulled from google photos to demonstrate how poorly Affinity's white balance correction picker and slider are compared to Photoshops. I've also recorded myself correcting both and Photoshop's is effortless. In Affinity, you have to struggle and manually change the slider, and even then it still gives an off tint and never looks proper from my experience.

Capitol_WB.jpg

• 6 months later...