You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector & pixel brush “blob” errors

RobRed

Hi. New to Affinity Designand honestly bit disappointed in the brushes and UI issues.

Firstly the brushes, both pixel and vector, start with a “blobs”. I’ve tried every setting and tried using the lightest touch, but it’s still there at every stroke.

As an artist this makes this app currently useless to me cause can’t work without brushes. (Screenshot).

Also when initially selecting brushes, the “controller” is set to “none” instead of the default brush settings, ignoring the pressure sensitivity and shape properties.

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 21.59.47.png

10 hours ago, RobRed said:

Firstly the brushes, both pixel and vector, start with a “blobs”.

Hi RobRed, I just tried a random pixel brush and no blobs. Perhaps it’s brush or pen related? 
Which brush are you using? Which Apple Pencil?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi. I’ve tried it again and same thing on both vector and pixel brushes. Example of pixel brushes but not limited to ... brush pen, dense India ink, comic ink pen etc etc.

Its like it place a non-pressure-sensitive initial stroke before doing the rest.

Im using Apple Pencil and again works perfect in other art pixel and vector apps with no such issue.

Latest attempt screenshot below.

58976EDE-8A81-4591-A5CA-36D020E59A3C.jpeg

Where did you get the brushes?
Are they 'made for affinity' brushes or imported from elsewhere?

I agree the results look pretty ordinary. Hopefully the mods can help sort this out for you. :)

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

2 hours ago, RobRed said:

Yeah they're all native to the app brushes. Never imported anything new

Weird. I found the brush set you used but I can’t replicate the blobs. I,ve seen them in older releases.  Check the pencil tip and make sure it has not worked loose. Perhaps see if you can borrow another pencil to try. I'm assuming you have the latest 1.7.3.1 update as there were some brush improvements in that release. I'm at a loss. Hopefully mods can be more helpful. 

Check if your Pencil's pressure sensitivity curve is tweaked in Affinity Designer’s Settings/Prefs; in the Gallery view, under Pencil... Perhaps your pressure curve is funky.... try resetting it and see if that helps.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

5 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Check if your Pencil's pressure sensitivity curve is tweaked in Affinity Designer’s Settings/Prefs; in the Gallery view, under Pencil... Perhaps your pressure curve is funky.... try resetting it and see if that helps.

Thanks but it's straight A's arrow, bottom left corner straight to top right corner, haven't touched it.

What’s happening is, is that the moment my pencil (brush) tip touches the canvas (screen), it creates a blob As if I used extra pressure, or its creating a few on top of each other, just for that short instance. At this moment I have placed minimalist amount of pressure, the same amount of pressure the follows in the line drawn after the initial touch.

E8CE02BD-A367-44F0-A3FA-2337E03A19D1.jpeg

15 hours ago, RobRed said:

Thanks but it's straight A's arrow, bottom left corner straight to top right corner, haven't touched it.

Is there a default pressure curve being applied to strokes maybe? Check the pressure curve in the stroke studio and see if its generating a blob there.... ? 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

1 hour ago, ronnyb said:

Is there a default pressure curve being applied to strokes maybe? Check the pressure curve in the stroke studio and see if its generating a blob there.... ? 

The stroke studio only works with pencil tool but can create that blob effect so you may be on the right track..under default main settings for pencil the pressure curve should be a diagonal line from Botton left to top right. Check there. 
screen vid shows how pressure curve can create blobs.

E6938FCF-84A5-4C39-BDDF-F5CEE68AC4FE.png

1 hour ago, RobRed said:

No, pressure curve is default as above image.

Thanks for input everyOne ... just wondering at what point is some mod or dev going to assist with this?

something needs to happen here.

Ok, try Selecting Factory Reset under Defaults under the icon of the Page with 3 dots on the top menu bar inside a working document. Maybe it’s somehow applying an incorrect default setting  (with a blob profile) to all new paths.... just another idea

Hi Ronny, thanks tried that ... apparently according to support, it’s an issue that has been reported before, so hoping for a fix soon .. strange how these things effect some and not others.

Have you all also noticed that when opening a document, initially the brush context menu below does not have the controller for preset brushes automatically set to “brush defaults”? I find this very odd, I expect if selecting a preset brush, that it’s defaults would automatically be selected on.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Erfandaardha said:

How long i have to wait ? This bug is already loged since 1 year ago but not fixed yet, i feel dissapointed to buy this app, costumersupport is suck

Wow!! Seriously over a year ago?? This is very upsetting and disappointing! How can this have been ignored for so long? The brushes are one of the most important tools of Affinity Design! How can this have been ignored for so long?!

On 10/30/2019 at 11:28 PM, RobRed said:

Wow!! Seriously over a year ago?? This is very upsetting and disappointing! How can this have been ignored for so long? The brushes are one of the most important tools of Affinity Design! How can this have been ignored for so long?!

you can search similar topic about this bug, i have reported this bug before and the update not fix anything

this is the thread reported brush bug, the thread were created on 18 november 2018

• 4 months later...

Same problem on my iPad Mini 5th with Apple Pencil 1st.

This happens especially when using Vector brush on Affinity Designer.

But Pixel brush on AD, the blob at the beginning is not so serious.

On Procreate, there is no problem like this.

I hope the developer team would fix this soon.

Unfortunately the AD developers don’t give a shit about the users! They’ve been informed many times, are very well aware, but have chosen to ignore it and I’ve been told it’s not a priority to them. For them a priority is rather putting together new version to make money, BUT without fixing what they required to for the product users have already paid for. Utterly disgusting attitude 

• 2 months later...