You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please change table behavior

I would like to suggest a change to the way tables work in APub. As it is now I can set an exact value for the width of a column, but when I enlarge the table by dragging the handle on the right, all column widths are changed evenly. However I would want for the widths of the columns to be retained, especially when I set an exact value. In my opinion there needs to be the option at least to resize responsibly (as is the case now) or not. I am used to the way Indesign handles it, and it is just much more precise and easy to use. 

The same problem also occurs when I want to add a column in the middle of an existing table: instead of the columns to the right of the inserted column moving to the right, all columns are resized. This is just very annoying and I want an option to fix the width of a column, at the least when I have set exact values for the width.

I am all for new solutions, but the solution for tables just does not make much sense to me most of the time.

+1 on this. I'm just working on my first few tables in Affinity Publisher (after roughly 15 years of tables with InDesign), and I basically end up setting all the column widths by hand again and again. Sometimes, InDesign gets weird in that respect too, but there I can just run an AppleScript to set my column widths the way I want them to be.

Exactly as you said in your previous post, when I paste into a table from Excel, there's a bug where an extra column gets tacked on. That also happens when copying and pasting from another text frame in Affinity Publisher. When I remove that column, all the other column widths change. At least when I resize the text frame that contains the table, all the column widths go back to where they were before inserting the text into the table.

Edited by cableguy
Added more info about pasting content

• 1 month later...

I find the current table formatting system really difficult. Using the table studio tool to resize a column width the adjcent colum is shrunk. This results in the column width being too small to select that column to resize it.

Trying to drag the  column with at the top of the table is not much easier. The arrows selection area is soo small and sensitive that I keep creating a new table.

In page plus it was far easier to OLE a table and then resize