You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

difference between filter and adjustment

I do not understand what the logic is behind when an operation is called a filter and when it is an adjustment and also why options offered in both are so different. It looks as if masking part of an adjustments is not possible in filters. Inversely, showing a split screen before and after is a very nice feature in filters, but why is that not available in adjustments?

• Staff

Hi ApvdG,

The following thread should have most of the info you are looking for, https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/57432-filters-and-adjustments/

I'm not sure why there isn't a split view for adjustments however I'd imagine its because you can get the same effect from simply toggling the adjustment layer on and off.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks for the quick reply. A bit clearer indeed, except that I am still looking for an option to mask a filter. Example: Portrait where I want to blur the background but not the head. Are there other tricks to accomplish this? Regarding split screen not being possible for adjustments, I do not see a reason why this would not be possible. I can also switch a layer on and off ... If anything, I can imagine it is more difficult in filters, as that uses surrounding pixels ...

• Staff

Live filters are non destructive filters I'm not sure what you mean by the difference between the two? The Live Filters have have the same feature set as the filters where as adjustments have their own features such as HSL adjust. 

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

5 minutes ago, ApvdG said:

So, what is then the difference between a live filter and an adjustment?

I'd say one major difference is that an adjustment as a layer by its own does affect all other layers underneath – whereas a filter only affects the 1 layer it is assigned to (and its layers inside).

(btw.: Live Filters are a feature in AfPhoto only, adjustments & filters are in all Affinity apps.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

27 minutes ago, thomaso said:

(btw.: Live Filters are a feature in AfPhoto only, adjustments & filters are in all Affinity apps.)

I only see Filters in Photo and the Photo Persona of Publisher. If they're in Designer where would I find them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1