You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Monochromatic View Mode

Hi, 

This is either a question, or a feature request... But I'd like to see a quick way to enter into a view mode that displays only the Tonal Value of all the color being used in my project.

Think of this as the digital equivalent of a painter squinting their eyes so they are only left with a monochromatic view of the subject they are painting. (...and call it squint mode if you'd like).

Ideally, at least for me... this could be implemented by having a 'monochrome view mode' button right next to the 'outline view mode' button.

My Question:

As it stands now, I'm not really sure what the most efficient way is to toggle into this monochrome mode... as I keep calling it (though it could easily go by another name). 

Take Care,

Jim

Afinity Designer Squint Mode.png

Welcome back to the Serif Affinity Forums, Jim. :)

Add a Black & White adjustment layer, or an HSL adjustment layer with the saturation dialled all the way down. In either case you can then simply toggle the visibility of the adjustment layer via the Layers panel.

The following post may be of interest:

Edited by Alfred
Added link

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Okay,... Thank You, Alfred. That's a nice suggestion.

I tried your idea and it certainly made it easy to toggle back and forth.

Is there a way to pin this HSL adjustment layer to the top of the layer list.... so that it's always up there and applies to every layer in the stack?

or, perhaps there is a Global Setting for layers which apply to everything without them having to be on top of the list.

22 hours ago, JimD said:

Is there a way to pin this HSL adjustment layer to the top of the layer list

Not as such, as far as I’m aware, although I think you should (in theory!) be able to keep it at the top by being careful to select a lower layer before adding a new one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)