You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks - Option to go to next or previous page

• 1 year later...

This topic is almost 2 years old but have my total support. Nowadays you need to set each page button to make a navigable document, page by page, button by button. It would be lovely to simply add a couple of buttons on masterpage with next page / previous page interactivity added.

Imagine to add a new page in the beggining of a finished 100 page project and having to reprogramme all navigation buttons from there onwards… the pain… Horrible, isn't? Well.  That already happened to me.

C'mon Affinity team, you can do this for Us the interactive PDF people! :18_kissing_heart:

It look (at least for me), like unnecessary,  since on a computer you just need to use keys already on the keyboard for this, or swipe with fingers on tablets/phones.

PDF viewers will include thoses or plugins in web sites will add special areas in the pages' borders with effects to simulate turning a page. Buttons would be redundant.

8 minutes ago, Wosven said:

It look (at least for me), like unnecessary,  since on a computer you just need to use keys already on the keyboard for this, or swipe with fingers on tablets/phones.

PDF viewers will include thoses or plugins in web sites will add special areas in the pages' borders with effects to simulate turning a page. Buttons would be redundant.

It is necessary for the kind of projects i'm requested to do (PDF presented at full screen on kiosk mode, so any navigation interface must be included on the document itself) Also never underestimate the lack of computer knowledge of a big number of users. What it seems logical and easy has resulted before on a lot of people not being able to navigate the document because they don't realize that sweeping of arrow buttons can be used. A lot of people get lost when you hide or change the interface they expect.

• 2 years later...

What is the plan for this? It is one of the only way to truly implement interactive quizzes in interactive ebooks. There should be simply way to have program code do this work instead of replying on a person to do it. It seems some simple - it has been present in PowerPoint for more years than you can count - why is it so hard to get something so obviously useful in AFF PP.

15 hours ago, RoelfW said:

What is the plan for this? It is one of the only way to truly implement interactive quizzes in interactive ebooks. There should be simply way to have program code do this work instead of replying on a person to do it. It seems some simple - it has been present in PowerPoint for more years than you can count - why is it so hard to get something so obviously useful in AFF PP.

Hi and welcome to the forums. v2.2 will make this easier to do and hopefully it will be released in the next couple of weeks. While there isn't a next/previous page hyperlink option, you can simply create a cross-reference to a paragraph, anchor, or index mark on the previous or next page. Cross-references can be hyperlinked automatically.

Here's a quick demo but you'll need the 2.2 beta to open it, or just wait for 2.2 to be released.

test.afpub

test.pdf

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi Mike Thanks for the response - I tried the anchor method and it works however, in a long document, it is still a lot of work and no where as straight forward as a 'next page | previous page' app mediated - I realize that Pub is focused on high quality print layouts but making interactive PDF textbooks and such is becoming more and more the way to do things in this 'hopefully' declining it has got to be printed on paper world for things that text books

Roelf

Using anchors is a lot of work. What would be nice is simply being able to drop a couple of 'buttons' on a master page and assign them the behaviours of 'next' page and 'previous' page (in sequential order). As the buttons are on a master page they would be available on every page that master is applied to, with the final hyperlinks being applied in context of the actual sequential pages in the document on export.

1 hour ago, Bryan Rieger said:

As the buttons are on a master page they would available on every page that master is applied to

Why would such buttons be useful? PDF readers already provide Next and Previous Page functions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

@walt.farrell in presentation/kiosk mode without any app chrome (toolbars, etc) and/or without a keyboard (for navigation) having navigation in the document itself is really useful.

I agree. I do a lot of interactive PDFs for kiosk mode, no keyboard nor mouse to manage it. Also, readers providing the functions crash very often with the user not knowing that such option exist. I have subestimated a lot of times how users does not realize that they are viewing a full screen PDF or, directly, ignoring that they can navigate scrolling with the finger. The use of such button is to provide accesibility and usability to the users that need it. Just for that alone it is important to have it.