You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resized document does not export at the new size

Cobalt

-Open an empty file
-Resize the document (either change dimensions or DPI)
-Export persona -> export at 1x

The exported size is not the size reported while exporting.
The exported size is the original size when the document was created instead of the resized one.

2 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Open an empty file

Not sure why or even how you would do that.

My try:

Use the attached RGB 8 bit Non compressed TIFF image (500px x 500px, 300 dpi). File size is 733KB (751,114 bytes)

1. Open the TIFF image

2. Resize the image to 1000px x 1000px x 300dpi  (Document->Resize Document)

3. Change to Export Persona

4. Under Export options set Preset to TIFF RGB 8 bit, untick Embed ICC profile, untick Embed metadata, set compression to None

5. Export - Indicates file size will be 2.87MB

Actual size of exported file is 2.86MB (3,004,314 bytes).

All very much as expected.

500x500.tiff

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

Let's try this again.

1. Open "Image1 input"
  2. Document -> Resize Document -> DPI 192 -> and set to 1008px X 680px
  3. Export persona -> leave everything as is: JPEG (High quality) -> Export
  4. You get "Image1 export" (attached below) which is NOT different in size (still 504px X 340px).

Image1 input.jpg

Image1 export.jpg

10 hours ago, Cobalt said:

You get "Image1 export" (attached below) which is NOT different in size (still 504px X 340px).

Your input image was 504 x 340px and is shown in the Resize Document dialogue as 72dpi

After I change the dpi to 192, and then change the Sixe to 1008 x 680px and resize, the image then is shown as 1008 x 680px  and 192 dpi, and it exports as a JPG with exactly those dimensions. So it's working here as it should.

Your exported image however is as you have said, exactly the same size as the input image, which prompts the question, did you have the resample box ticked in the Resize operation before you clicked on Resample..

Also after the Resample operation, and before export, can you check the size at the top left of the screen. As shown in the attached screen shot, it should confirm that the resize has taken place.

Resample.jpg

Check size.jpg

On 10/11/2019 at 2:31 AM, Cobalt said:

-Resize the document (either change dimensions or DPI)
-Export persona -> export at 1x

It's complicated or to be more precise overly complicated

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/85643-incorrect-pixel-dimensions-from-designer-export-persona-current-mas-beta17/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/83492-export-persona-scale-problems/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

It's complicated or to be more precise overly complicated

Both the links you provided refer to Affinity Designer.

As this thread is in the "Report a bug in Affinity Photo" section I had assumed it was referring to Affinity Photo.

If it is Photo, then I certainly can't get the problem to occur.

Perhaps @Cobalt could clarify

The problem happens in Photo (Designer is using the same underlying code. So both should be affected).

One more time to make it super clear:

Resizing Dialog looks like this:
Clipboard-1.jpg.fb54c2efde49181dec94f8fc0d9859d7.jpg

- Photo is reported as 1008x680
Clipboard-2.jpg.bd11015b45c9162c7fffb4d6add0302d.jpg

-The export persona reports 1008x680
Clipboard-3.jpg.65339948c4f5321e3505e3ff6e133313.jpg

The export dialog looks like this:
Clipboard-4.jpg.1139379ddbb3012c1a2532280c17f069.jpg

---> REOPEN the exported image and it is back to 504x340
Clipboard-5.jpg.28753b0b8e356f35c07296be2a72ff46.jpg

Change the DPI  to 190DPI

But keep the document the same size 1008 x 680px

Now export in the Export Persona

Is the exported pixel size correct?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, Cobalt said:

The export dialog looks like this:

You screen shot shows you are using the Slices Tab.  I'm not sure why you would do this for a simple full size export.

(That said, if I use that tab without actually selecting a slice, it still exports here at the correct size).

To maybe narrow down the issue, after you resize your image, and whilst still in Photo persona can you try an export by using File->Export.  In the Export Settings dialogue select the JPG tab, then either Best Quality, or High Quality for the preset. Leave Area set to Whole document.

If you want control of metadata embedding, or ICC color profile, click on the More Button

If as your post suggests, you are trying to export the complete image, then either use the Export Options Tab in the Export Persona, or just simply use File->Export from the Photo persona

@Greyfox. Somehow I am not quite convinced you are following the steps correctly. As of the slices tab, it doesn't matter (every document has a default full image non-deletable slice). If anything it means something is broken.

@carl123. BINGO ! Changing the dpi to 190 works as expected. At 192 it goes back to exporting half what it's supposed to.

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

@carl123. BINGO ! Changing the dpi to 190 works as expected. At 192 it goes back to exporting half what it's supposed to.

I know, there are special DPI's such as 144 & 192 that will always work differently to other DPI's

Serif says this is deliberate and has given an explanation for it but I really don't see the need for it, and it is just majorly confusing whenever someone encounters it in the Export Persona

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

@carl123. It's deliberate ? Exporting half the pixels at 96dpi instead of 192 ?

This post explains why you get half the size at 144

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/83492-export-persona-scale-problems/&do=findComment&comment=441920

I also saw we get half the size at 96dpi when it should be 192dpi but I had lost the will to live by then 

10 minutes ago, carl123 said:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/83492-export-persona-scale-problems/&do=findComment&comment=441920

I also saw we get half the size at 96dpi when it should be 192dpi but I had lost the will to live by then 

Because your document is set to 144 DPI the Export Persona automatically creates half size exports when outputting to 1x format, the correct size when outputting at 2x, and double size when out putting at 3x. If you work at 288dpi, then your document will export at the correct size when using 3x, half size then using 2x and then half that when using 1x.

I don't even care to know in what universe such convoluted logic makes sense.

@Cobalt

@carl123

Thank you both. I think I have learned something from this.

It is not my normal practice to use the Export persona, as for photo work  the File->Export route does what I need, and I was certainly not aware of hidden DPI trap (or traps?).

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

Carl,  it details what happens if 144 DPI is chosen, but it doesn't explain why that should be, or why it was felt necessary to have it work that way, and I can't find any mention of it in the help file.

I have found this thread which offers some information about the 144, 192 and 216 dpi values, and yes in photo, if you set the document dpi to 216, the export size is 1/3 of that expected.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/85643-incorrect-pixel-dimensions-from-designer-export-persona-current-mas-beta17/