You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bullets and Numbering functionality

It would be great if the bulleting and numbering approach could include a multilevel functionality similar to word or InDesign when by pressing Tab or Shift+Tab takes you to the next sub level. Having to define the text style for each level is tedious, time consuming and not intuitive. Is this a functionality that will be rolled out soon or is there a way to accomplish this easily using the bullets and numbering tools? 

word multilevel list.PNG

It already includes 3 levels of bullets or numbering.

image.png.59e2fbf90194d74a6c6cf1b4b30ee2ca.png

If you want more, you can define them my modelling, e.g., Bullet 4 on Bullet 3 and changing the left indent and the bullet character you want to use.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

My first explanation might not have been clear. Unfortunately, when using bullets or numbering, I can't select sections of bulleted/numbered lists and hit the tab key and have those move them to other sublevels. When I try to do this I lose all my text. I then have to go an redefine the text styles section by section, unless I am missing something. Thanks for the help in advance. 

10 hours ago, Sabina Beg said:

My first explanation might not have been clear. Unfortunately, when using bullets or numbering, I can't select sections of bulleted/numbered lists and hit the tab key and have those move them to other sublevels. When I try to do this I lose all my text. I then have to go an redefine the text styles section by section, unless I am missing something.

Sorry; no, that wasn't clear to me. But that's also available, I believe.

Select all your text, then use the menu item Text > List > Increase Level. It has a default keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+] on Windows (probably Cmd+Shift+] on Mac), which you can change, of course.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

There is also a setting in the Auto-Correct section of Preferences for "Use tab to alter paragraph level instead of inserting a tab," which seems to do the same thing as Text > List > Increase Level.

In either case though, it does not seem to switch paragraph styles to the appropriate level. I feel I must me missing something here.

5 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

In either case though, it does not seem to switch paragraph styles to the appropriate level. I feel I must me missing something here.

If I have a paragraph of text in Bullet 2, and I select it and use Text > List > Increase Level, the paragraph style changes to Bullet 3.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks for confirming, Walt. I did some more investigating, and I discovered that it didn't work for me on the styles I created myself because I had not defined the "Next Level." I overlooked it, because that setting was not with the rest of the list settings.

Now that I've got that sorted out, back to the request:

20 hours ago, Sabina Beg said:

I can't select sections of bulleted/numbered lists and hit the tab key and have those move them to other sublevels.

What you are looking for is only partially available. If you activate the “Use tab to alter paragraph level instead of inserting a tab” preference, then the tab key can be used to change levels, but even with this setting on, it only works if you put the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph you desire to move. When you have done that, you can move forward and back with the tab and shift-tab. If you have the insertion point anywhere else, or if you have a selection, then a tab character will be typed.

But you are correct that you cannot select multiple paragraphs and promote or demote them all at once with the tab key. But you can do that with the menu item as Walt has pointed out, and there is also a keyboard shortcut that is not too inconvenient.

In Apple Pages, you can grab a section by its bullet or number and move it up or down to another position, and/or left or right to promote or demote it. Any of its child paragraphs (lower levels) will follow it as well. I think that would be a worthy addition, but perhaps it is less important here as we are dealing with DTP rather than a word processor.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:45 PM, Sabina Beg said:

Is this a functionality that will be rolled out soon or is there a way to accomplish this easily using the bullets and numbering tools? 

In case the above wasn't clear... you can do this in Publisher by defining the desired levels as paragraph styles under Text Styles, and set the "Next level" of the higher-level list item style to the next lower-level list item style:

image.png.22bedb47cb08aefc57ee9a72a2b96baf.png

The pre-defined styles include a few already (such as the above) which you can look at as examples.

Select one of the styles to apply the bullet or number to your text; if you have the checkbox selected in Preferences that @garrettm30 mentioned above, you can use tab or shift-tab to switch them as long as the insertion point is at the beginning of the paragraph; tabs still work "normally" from other positions.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:34 AM, walt.farrell said:

It already includes 3 levels of bullets or numbering.

image.png.59e2fbf90194d74a6c6cf1b4b30ee2ca.png

If you want more, you can define them my modelling, e.g., Bullet 4 on Bullet 3 and changing the left indent and the bullet character you want to use.

It would be nice to have more than 3 levels included. I often need this in my workflow.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

5 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It would be nice to have more than 3 levels included. I often need this in my workflow.

It's easy to make your own additional levels. Just model them after the kind of changes made for levels 1 through 3. The changes are, mainly, setting a "next level" in level 3, and for level 4 increasing the left-indent, and changing the kind of numbering or bullet.

-- Walt
PC:

5 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It would be nice to have more than 3 levels included.

Strangely enough there have been others on the forums who have complained about how many styles are added by default when you initially create a document.  Different people seem to have opinions on both sides of the topic, so the currently included ones seem fairly balanced as a starting point to build on.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, evtonic3 said:

How do I adjust the space after the selected bullet? I get a real tight symbol to first letter kerning making it look pretty poor.

image.png.f6f53fba26d2e70ea8c434130f08f928.png

-- Walt
PC: