You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed not exported in PDF file

blh

Hi,

It seems this feature does not work in the last version. See the files attached.

I defined a bleed in the document setup (3 mm). My blue rectangle on the bottom of the card is well sized to reach the bottom bleed, but when I export the document to PDF, the rectangle does not extend the border of the document !!!

My configuration : MacOS 10.13.6 : Affinity Designer 1.7.3

I need urgent help because I have to send PDF master files to the printing services tomorrow morning !!!

Regards.

artboard.jpg

document_bleed_setup.jpg

export_settings.jpg

pdf_file.jpg

I forgot to mention a point : the type selected for my document is "Print".

Trying to find a workaround to my problem, I just created a new document with the type "Press-ready", and now, the PDF export take into account the bleed space. At the end, I am not sure if the "Print" configuration has a proper behavior, because you can define some bleed space, but it is not taken into account by the PDF export function. This is weird.

Regards.

Following of my tests...

Apparently, the problem of bleed export also occurs with the "Print-ready" document type. Actually, this happens when there are multiple artboards into the document and you export just one or several of them, meaning choosing the area (or zone) option "Selection with background" or "Selection without background" into the export panel. In that case, the bleed space is not taking into account by the PDF export function.

The only way to have the bleed space into the final PDF is to export the entire document, which also means all artboards into the final PDF, which is not very convenient. Another workaround is to create multiple documents, but again not convenient and this annihilates all the interest of the artboards.

Hope this bug will be fixed very very soon, because when we use the app in a business context as I do, this is a huge limitation.

Regards.

Hi blh,

Might be stating the obvious but do you have the Include Bleed checkbox checked prior to exporting your pdf?

1907218019_includebleed.thumb.jpg.73995433a40f479aace1d75ac836f6fc.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Yes of course, the checkbox is checked in the PDF export options, as shown in my first screenshots attached (Maybe not easy to verify that point because my screenshots are relative to the French version (sorry about that, I did not had time to change the language settings and relaunch the app yesterday evening).

Apologies I missed that, must brush up on my French!

Using the same settings as you appear to be using the bleed exports as expected so I'm trying to work out what you are doing differently. I've attached a quick mockup, what happens when you export the Front (P) artboard from the attached file, do you have the same problem when the pdf is exported?

divatech_pdf_export.thumb.jpg.4778a2a245d677a8c64b3b98094668a6.jpg

divatech.afdesign

divatech-front.pdf

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Firstly, thank you very much for taking time to create the mockup. I appreciate that. :-)

I opened your divatech.afdesign document in my Designer app. Then I selected two artboards and choose "selection without background" on the export panel, and export to PDF after verifying the bleed option was checked. As you can see into the result file "Divatech.pdf", the bleed space is not included.

By the way, I just notice your post footer indicates 1.7.2 version. Does that mean this is the version you use right now ?

Because I use the last release 1.7.3, and not with Mojave OS, but with High Sierra.

If so, it could be a regression with the latest release.

divatech.pdf

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd just not gotten round to updating my signature (it now shows 1.7.3)... :)

I'm unsure why you are selecting "selection without background" when you do that the Include Bleed option is greyed out (despite still being active under More settings) which is why your bleed isn't being exported. If you simply leave the setting as 'Whole Document' then all artboards that have bleed will be exported with bleed into a single pdf file or you can select individual artboards by selecting them from the same Area: drop-down.

It is perhaps misleading that the Include Bleed options are still active under More settings and perhaps it would make sense if these were disabled as well under these circumstances, perhaps something the Dev team could look at?

pdf_export.thumb.jpg.786dc4a5a6a12e6548dcb74ea59b93e6.jpg

White background are not necessary when you send document with white background to print services. Actually, most of them ask you to remove it. For me, there is absolutely no reason to not include bleed space when this option is selected.

The biggest advantage of Affinity Designer app against competitors is the Artboard concept, which allow the designer to combine multiple piece of design in the same document. A very smart feature. And I use it a lot.

In that case, I have to design a business card for multiple colleagues. With the artboard, I have the common front (same design for everyone), and one back design for each person. All of these in the same document. At the export stage, I just have to choose the front and the back to generate a PDF file for each person with the front and the appropriate back. Having the front and all the backs in the same output file is not convenient for the print services which have to extract the appropriate pages depending on the card to print.

I remember I used this workflow quite a lot in 2018 and this worked perfectly well. I don't know why this behaviour has changed...

The white background was just force of habit, I tend to always include a background as it puts the page/artboard elements in context in the Layer Panel thumbnail but as you say, it isn't required if white...

To be honest, if I were doing multiple business cards as you've described I would use Affinity Publisher (non-facing pages) with one page allocated for the front and then individual pages for each person. That way you keep everything in a single document and it is easy to export and also gives you more control as you can be selective in terms of which pages you output if you don't want/need to output them all.

Then I'd set up a simple Automator Quick Action to split the PDF into individual pages which you can access by right-clicking the exported pdf in the finder and selecting the Quick Action from the Services menu at the bottom of the context menu, so a single click to split them all into individual sequentially named pdf files (much quicker than exporting each page one at a time from Publisher).

publisher_export.thumb.jpg.595b04cdccf3b4d7eec475e335bfe147.jpg

split_pdf.thumb.jpg.53e39a6f1bc8ca7fe6ee88a19deece13.jpg

I certainly will think about using Publisher instead of Designer for the business card design, even if I think Designer is a more direct way. Maybe I will change my point of view after testing your idea...

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing.

• Staff

Hi all,

This is by design. Selections cannot have bleed, even if the selection is the actual content of the page. Bleed is a page/artboard attribute. However, that tickbox in the "More" options should also be grayed out so will log this with our developers. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Include bleed should be graded out in "More" when Area is "Selection") of the program in the latest Affinity Publisher beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. Once Affinity Publisher has been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update to all customers.

The 1.8.0 builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Is it possible that it's still not working using the Export Persona? I have multiple artboards and want to export one with a 3 mm bleed. In the Designer Persona I edited the bleed in the Document Setup. After this, there's no visual difference. Then going to the Export Persona, I find the slice corresponding the artboard. In the Export Options panel I check the Include Bleed option, but no bleed is exported.

When using the Export option from the topmenu in the Designer Persona, it does work luckily, so for now I'm fine, but I'm still a bit puzzled.

@GalaxySurfer This is working correctly for me and is exporting with bleed from the Export Persona, can you perhaps upload a test file?

Hmm, I was preparing a file, by removing all the old artboards, and adding a new layer in a different colour that represented the bleed, and now it's also working from the Export persona. Opened the old file and added a new layer in a different color and it's working in the old document too, so maybe I'm just getting crazy because I tried it with some extreme bleeds of 33 mm and it wasn't working...

Should there be a visual representation of the bleed while working in the Designer persona?

Anyway, sorry to bother you, thought I'd tested it myself thoroughly enough to post it here... Thanks for your quick assistance.