When I open an Affinity Publisher document (originally created on a PC) on my mac,  I get a pop-up dialogue box informing me that a font is missing. Using the Font Manager I can see the font that's missing (in a list). However, when I press 'locate' Publisher does nothing. In the list it suggests an alternative to substitute but, unless I'm missing something obvious, there's no way actually to substitute it.

After saving and reloading, the same pop-up box appears telling me about the missing font.

All thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.

Edward

Hi Edward Goodwin :)

The Font Manager will substitute any missing fonts with system fonts - this is done so that the text with missing fonts can still be viewed, it's only a temporary replacement which is why you're seeing the 'missing fonts' dialog after saving and reopening your document.

If you want the pop-up warning to not show, you will need to manually change the font for each text object that has a missing font.

17 hours ago, Edward Goodwin said:

However, when I press 'locate' Publisher does nothing

I'm sorry to hear this, the 'locate' option should take you to any text in the document that's using the font you have selected in the Font Manager, as such -

bd2641a0feff19585ff14f3db78d69ae.gif

Does this not function as the above for you?

Thanks for the reply... See attached video. Hopefully this shows it's not working as yours is. Am I missing something? 

One question though - is there a find/replace font function? It seems laborious to have to change every instance of a missing font. In the 'locate' box, I'd assumed that the substitution suggestion was saying which substitution would be made and that I could then simply say 'yes, please' or similar to accept the substitution.

Is something like this possible or is it really necessary to change every instance manually?

Edward

1 hour ago, Edward Goodwin said:

is there a find/replace font function?

Yes, but via the Find/Replace dialog, not the Font Manager. Unfortunately, I think it works only for fonts that you have installed. So it doesn't help in your situation.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

It's a bit hidden, and I'm away from the computer so this is from memory.

On the right side of the Find box you should see a cog. Click it and choose Format. Specify the font of interest in the next dialog.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

So, am I right in saying that if there's a document with a font that's missing, there's no way automatically to find/replace the missing fonts? Instead, you must use the font manager to locate the missing font locations and then change each one manually? If that's the case, I think this feature needs to be added to the improvements list!

I have a document with about 100 instances of a missing font (it's a drawing with lots of labels which are not in paragraphs and hence not linked). Moreover, as I shown in my video linked above, the actual font manager locate function isn't working. Hmm. It's frustrating!

Walt, thanks for all your input! Edward 

19 minutes ago, Edward Goodwin said:

I have a document with about 100 instances of a missing font (it's a drawing with lots of labels which are not in paragraphs and hence not linked). Moreover, as I shown in my video linked above, the actual font manager locate function isn't working. Hmm. It's frustrating!

In your video above, the situation seems odd as you seem to have a Master Page but no document pages.

I might believe that Locate won't work to find missing fonts on a Master Page (though that might also be a bug). But it should work on document pages.

Can you supply a sample .afpub file, with document pages and a missing font, where Locate doesn't work for you?

-- Walt

The reason the pages are not visible is that the pages panel is collapsed - the document content is confidential and hence I didn't want to post it on a public forum. But the pages are there...!

When the pages are visible, the locate function still doesn't work. I can't supply the afpub file (for obvious reasons) but, just so you know, the missing font is Gill Sans MT. The file was created on a PC and I'm working on a Mac.

At this point, I'm beyond caring to be honest! I've just learnt to ignore the dialogue box for this document. But still, I thought I'd raise the issues... 

Thanks for your help!

36 minutes ago, Edward Goodwin said:

So, am I right in saying that if there's a document with a font that's missing, there's no way automatically to find/replace the missing fonts?

You can replace all fonts in your document, including missing ones to another font using Find & Replace

So if in your document the 100 instances of the missing font makes up the bulk of the document then it may be quicker to replace all fonts then add the correct font back to the other parts of the document.

Alternativly you just need to find something unique about the text that has the missing font and target that attribute instead to change the font

But without a sample of some sort, it's hard to advise further.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

17 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You can replace all fonts in your document, including missing ones to another font using Find & Replace

In prior experiments I was never able to use Find/Replace for missing fonts. Has that been fixed, or was I doing something wrong?

-- Walt

I have never tried to find a solution to replace just missing fonts in a document with another font but you can replace all fonts (every font in the document) including missing ones to another font using Find and Replace.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Thanks for the input Carl. I really appreciate the suggestion. It's still a bit of a work around I guess as then other (non-missing) fonts will get changed and will then need to be changed manually back to what they were originally at. I'm sure I could work around it - say, change them to yellow, change all fonts, then change back the yellow fonts. But it strikes me that a simple button on the font manager to say 'yes, accept proposed substitution' would be a lot easier...

Thanks for all the information provided here, there's a few bugs logged with the developers as a result of this thread -

On Windows when using Find and Replace (or Text Styles as it's the same dialog) the 'Missing' option does not populate with the documents missing fonts.

On Mac, this option populates however F&R does not work with these parameters.

(Insignificant to this thread) but Mac and Windows have different options in the dropdown list next to font family in this dialog.

2 hours ago, Edward Goodwin said:

So, am I right in saying that if there's a document with a font that's missing, there's no way automatically to find/replace the missing fonts? Instead, you must use the font manager to locate the missing font locations and then change each one manually? If that's the case, I think this feature needs to be added to the improvements list!

That's correct, there's no automatic implementation currently, once the above issues are fixed you should be able to do this via the Find and Replace options, however this will still not be fully automatic - feel free to post a Feature Request here.

Could you please provide a copy of your document to the following link? We'd like to internally investigate why your 'Locate' function is not working as intended - this file will not be publicly shared and will be removed once testing has been completed.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/m8C2xNjf6AjAtmxvGBZf