You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APub - dropped paragraph

Hello,

I have an interesting problem: Publisher drop a paragraph to next page, but paragraph lines can fits end of column. Anyone have tip, why drop this paragraph to next page? No column or page break, I deleted character and press Enter again, but Publisher drop to next page...

paragraph3.jpg

You may have Keep paragraph together  turned on in the Paragraph Style's Flow section. It may even be turned on in a Paragraph Style which this one is based on and is inherited as this screen shot would show.

1695455756_ScreenShot2019-10-10at7_58_00AM.png.f38ba86613b6a44f7ca7032acdb6ad94.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If turn on this option, then I get many holes in text frame... This is a book, and have problem with paragraph wrapping.

What I tried:

• Keep with previous paragraph -> previous paragraph will go to next page too
  • Keep paragraph together -> get many holes (I use these settings to a paragraph style)
  • Keep with next 1 line -> program crashed and closed.

Text is imported from docx, and no include any linked formats. I attached paragraph settings.

paragraph3a.jpg

You may have a Frame Break, Column Break, Page Break in there. Turn on Show Special Characters and see what is there, there shouldn't be anything other than the one Paragraph Return.

537039541_ScreenShot2019-10-10at12_22_04PM.thumb.png.75fbee99aeaffd1d2152ef1b1d1e85bc.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I am out of ideas from off of the top of my head, I would need to see the document and go through the Paragraph Styles and Text Frames and some other things to see what the problem is. 

I am so glad you solved it, but sorry I didn't think of that too. I shall remember that.

Unless you can provide a .afpub file that demonstrates the problem we can only guess at solutions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry, my project is a book, and writer's have many rights for this, and I cannot publish here. :( I think, this is a complicated bug with many parameters (maybe font, but I think with hyphenation settings and flow options will help, if try). I used Times New Roman 12 pt, with Line-height multiply 1.08, and left indent 5mm in paragraph if help. Other changed  flow and hyphenation settings see my screenshots.

42 minutes ago, mykee said:

Sorry, my project is a book, and writer's have many rights for this, and I cannot publish here. :( I think, this is a complicated bug with many parameters (maybe font, but I think with hyphenation settings and flow options will help, if try). I used Times New Roman 12 pt, with Line-height multiply 1.08, and left indent 5mm in paragraph if help. Other changed  flow and hyphenation settings see my screenshots.

Can you reproduce the issue with a shorter version, perhaps just two or three pages of your book, with the text replaced by filler text?

If so, you could provide that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 hours ago, mykee said:

"Publisher drop a paragraph to next page, but paragraph lines can fits end of column"

(Well, it was actually yesterday, but I extracted a part of your original post. )  Does this happen with every page, or is this an isolated incident?  If isolated, I have a one-time suggestion.  Why not replace your paragraph break (Return key) for the last paragraph before the white space,  with a line break (Shift+Return).  This will treat the next paragraph as a continuation and should fill the page, but should avoid the large white space.  Worth a try? 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

When I select all text, cut it, paste it into a pure text editor app, copy/paste back to your .afpub, reassign style "Normal" then the page break appears fine:

919709058_pagebreakhungary.jpg.a34ada83c032403b2134c82b0103ca18.jpg

But there still is something weird: I am not able to delete the paragraph breaks: If I place the text cursor before the first character of any line and hit the 'delete' key then nothing happens.

Do you experience strange behavior only with this document? Could it be related to the text source file?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I took a look again and I have realized that what you are experiencing is the paragraph's first two lines being kept together (Prevent orphaned first lines) and the paragraph's last two lines being kept together (Prevent widowed last lines). As there are only three lines in the paragraph they are all being kept together.

Having said all that I do not understand why the three line paragraph is not being included in space that looks like it is four lines high on the previous page.

Your file (hozzad-lancolva-test) has the paragraph style (Normal) using the base line grid but the base line grid is off on both the spreads and the Text Frames. Then there is some additional spacing going on with the three asterisks used as a break which messes up the spacing for the page not using the baseline grid.

I noticed something odd.

If I place the cursor at the end of the last visible text on page 1, and press Enter to begin a new paragraph, I get Arial font and [No Style] as the paragraph style, rather than the Times New Roman and Normal paragraph style that I expected. I deleted that paragraph break.

Then I zoomed out to enable me to see the bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2, put the cursor at the end of the last visible text on page 1, pressed Shift and down arrow. I was able to select 2 lines of invisible text before the cursor dropped to page 2.

Deleting those lines of invisible text fixes your problem, I think.

By copying them and pasting into another program I was able to see that they are a control character (shown in NotePad++ as a PS, hex e280a9) and some text:

– Nagyon szexi – válaszolom. Tényleg nagyon jól áll rajta. Fehér bőr, sötétszőke haj, vékony deré

Here's how the selection looked with the invisible text still present:

image.png.aad0d8d18e11b29fa2e9f36197ea1340.png

-- Walt
PC:

The problem is that APub think "–" should behave like an hyphen and should stay part of the previous sentence (if you disable the option about Widow, it'll be fine).

Using a space before, or — (alt+0151) for dialogues solve this, but we can't use – (alt+0150) for lists.

2019-10-11_220314.thumb.png.373d8730fc593944cdbb7ce54410daf7.png

2019-10-11_220403.thumb.png.45c5540b204b2ea3815fa9c856c643e6.png

On 10/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, mykee said:

Hello,

I have an interesting problem: Publisher drop a paragraph to next page, but paragraph lines can fits end of column. Anyone have tip, why drop this paragraph to next page? No column or page break, I deleted character and press Enter again, but Publisher drop to next page...

paragraph3.jpg

The main issue, the moving of two paragraphs when resizing the text frame, is due to the massive hyphenation zone setting. 

Why so large?

For the main issue: see line numbers on odd page, there is four lines yet, dropped paragraph is three lines... Why not leave on page?

What I tried from your tips:

• text frame site change is not solved, because if change text before, then text will move
  • Prevent windowed last line option disable not option for me, because this is a wrapper rule for books, this option use turn on like Prevent orphaned first line too
  • walt.farell: This hidden text is next paragraph first line. If I delete this, I deleted your quoted text too. :( 
  • MikeW: I set Hyphenation zone to 10mm, because I get many hyphenation. If I change this to 0, this not solved my problem.

I attached part of original text in docx, what I imported to Publisher.

HL-test.docx

In original layout drop this paragraph to new page, but there is ok, because Word leave two lines bottom of first page, no four as Publisher. But line-height is same...

Here is screenshot, because auto-hyphenation is on under Word, use hungarian dictionaries too.

image.thumb.png.df086bafd03a8bd8b29cadb1ae37976b.png

The APub file I downloaded from above had the column end zone at 80 or something huge. That is what was affecting the dropping of the paragraphs down.

You have 0% letter spacing for all three values. If adjusted to allow for some letter spacing (I used 5,0,10), then this is what I get in APub with a 5% column end zone.

Capture_000267.png.31af2ab051e4fb055914995d5daa1a3b.png

Yes, zone is huge, because developers said: set this parameter to big size, if I need no hyphenation at last line at end of column. I suggested to developers, need an option: no wrap for last word of column, but said this trick. But paragraph dropped... 

The usual "no wrap for capitalized word", "no wrap for end of column|frame|page", "no wrap at last word of paragraph" would be simpler and fit a lot of situations, when those parameters seems to need adjustments depending of the column's width, especially if they cause trouble with setting for large values.