You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Hyphenation in last line/word of column

Dear developers,

Please add an option to hyphenation: No hyphenation in last line/word of column. I'm a book wrapper too, and hypenation zone and column zone not helped. If can add this option, then last line or word of column will not wrapped.

This will great help when I wrapping a book. Thanks!

Possible workarounds for you:

1. Press Tab after the last word.
  2. Insert a soft-hyphen at the end of the last word.
  3. Apply a Character Style to the last word with the "No Break" option set.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The feature I think you are asking for should already be covered by the Column End Zone. That should prevent hyphenation at the end of the last line of a column, if you set it to a suitably large value. You can use several inches if you don't mind very long words being pushed to the next column. I just tried it in 1.7.3 and it seemed to work. You say it doesn't work for you. What did you try, and what happened?

@Dave Harris I used this option, but no helped: if this value too big, many lines will drop to next page, no word only. And I use a few millimeters only (I no use inches), then many places release hyphened words. :( I think what you suggested: this option change this parameter, but often no helped :( I set this parameter to 7 mm, but I need correct manually many times.

I need set word length in millimeter? It would be easier a setting for "last word of column is no break" or any similar.

OK, here is what's my problem with Column End Zone. Here is a hyphenation with 20mm settings:

hyph20mm.thumb.jpg.cc756137ef26ae9eb744d52d355156a5.jpg

And I changed this parameter to 285mm (longest hungarian word is 67 character = 283,633512‬mm):

hyph285mm.thumb.jpg.3387f49bb045b01b51f5b22becb96747.jpg

And last paragraph jump to next page! Not only last word... Page size is 130x197, and margins 20-20mm on left and right side. I don't know what is good parameter for Column End Zone for last word no wrapping...

Update: I set to (130mm - 2x20mm - 10mm) 80mm this zone, and I checking where working or not.

Mykee, sorry for not getting back to you quicker. Setting the zone to 285mm should work fine. I've not been able to reproduce the behaviour where it moves the entire line or paragraph to the next page. Is it possible there were some other settings, such as Keep together or Prevent orphaned last lines involved?

Can you attach a small sample document which show it going wrong, so I can examine what is happening?

@Dave Harris Here is a sample from this project and I use Prevent orphaned last lines, because need this option for book wrapping (Keep together option not):

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar9GB-v89284gf5_rpJNw9hOBR8VPg?e=SMWYDR

You need install hungarian hyphenation too before open sample project, package include this.

And in this topic talk with this bug (or feature), where you find source word file too:

OK, there is a bug in the interaction between Column end zone and Prevent orphaned first lines and Prevent widowed last lines that can cause it to move an extra line. Because there are several paragraphs of two and three lines, that bug ends up causing the large gap.

If all three options are off, the word "hangon" is hyphenated at the end of a column. If Column end zone is then set to 80mm, that word is moved to the next column, which is correct. However, that leaves the last line of the paragraph as a widow at the top of the next column. If Prevent widowed last lines is switched on for that paragraph, it should move one line from the previous paragraph. It actually moves two. That makes a new widow, so if Prevent widowed last lines is switched on for the paragraph that moved, two lines are brought forward. That makes an orphaned first line, so switching on the option to control those moves a third line forward.

The bug should be fixed in 1.8 (although it may not make the next beta). Thanks for reporting it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Because it deals with widow-orphan issues, I thought the fixing of the bug mentioned below (which according to a post above is fixed in Beta 1.8.0.499) would have fixed the issue I found, but it did not.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:44 PM, Dave Harris said:

OK, there is a bug in the interaction between Column end zone and Prevent orphaned first lines and Prevent widowed last lines that can cause it to move an extra line. Because there are several paragraphs of two and three lines, that bug ends up causing the large gap.

If all three options are off, the word "hangon" is hyphenated at the end of a column. If Column end zone is then set to 80mm, that word is moved to the next column, which is correct. However, that leaves the last line of the paragraph as a widow at the top of the next column. If Prevent widowed last lines is switched on for that paragraph, it should move one line from the previous paragraph. It actually moves two. That makes a new widow, so if Prevent widowed last lines is switched on for the paragraph that moved, two lines are brought forward. That makes an orphaned first line, so switching on the option to control those moves a third line forward.

The bug should be fixed in 1.8 (although it may not make the next beta). Thanks for reporting it.

I just downloaded the Beta 1.8.0.502 and launched it. The file I had problems with still has problems.

My problem: As it is now in the Release Version (1.7.3) and the Beta (1.8.0.502) if you have Paragraph > Flow > "Justify Vertically" turned on and the text flows from text frame 1 to text frame 2 and you would have an orphan without "Prevent widowed last lines", the text at the bottom of the first text frame does not go to the bottom as it should to be "justified vertically." If you shut off "Prevent widowed last lines", the text is justified vertically as it should be, but now you've got a widowed last line at the top of the next text frame.

I don't want to put the file up publicly, but I'd be happy to share it with developers. Is there an address to which I could send a link so the developers only can download the file and check it?

Or maybe they can just duplicate the problem themselves without my file.

Edited by ETC
Typos; not clear