chippwalters

SVG not opening, but Illustrator can

Here is a simple SVG vector file (created in Blender) which for some reason Design cannot open. But, Illustrator and even the Chrome browser can. Is there a way I can open this in Design-- or is it a bug?

(Click on the file and open in Chrome, it should look like this:)

0001.svg

Yes, should be utf-8, and then opens. CorelDRAW (2017) did not have problems opening the file, either, despite of wrong encoding tag.

Just replace encoding='ascii' with encoding="UTF-8"

0001 encoding changed.svg

Screen-Shot-2019-10-10-at-07-24-25.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Affinity should respond to other people's mistakes?

This article has been written with the kind assistance of DeepL.

I suspect because the SVG is always vector data from a 3D source, UTF-8 is not needed as there are no double-byte characters but only 3D line segments. As such, ascii is much easier to parse. Regardless, Illustrator does open it, as does a Chrome browser and many other applications including Inkscape.

And in my challenge to jump off of Creative Cloud and onto the Affinity bandwagon, it would be nice if Designer would be able to parse an ascii SVG.