You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, 

I was not sure where to post this. 

I am trying to find out if there is any possibility that whoever owns the codebase to Serif Drawplus X8 might consider selling it to the open source community? 

I understand certain components are third party commercial software and these would not be included, however, I am guessing it will not be beyond FOSS to replace them with existent open source components in fairly short order. 

Inkscape and Xara are decent but, Drawplus as an open source resource would be game changing for Linux. Large parts work in Wine already, and once the third party commercial stuff is gone, I am guessing it may mostly work with very little tweaking. At minimum it would be great for Windows users, because Inkscape is just so strange in how it is set up. Drawplus is a breeze to learn. I have thought of quite a few mods I would like to write to handle certain tasks but that is not possible without the source code or a mod or complex macro system. These are things we could add if it was an open source program. 

If anybody here knows how to  contact the present owners of the software to communicate about this potential, let me know. If I knew they would sell, but only for X hundred thousand or million dollars, it would be very helpful. If they are totally unwilling to sell, that would be unfortunate, but everyone has a price, and that software is dead otherwise as far as I know. 

Thanks for any suggestions, and sorry to the mods for the probably wrong location for the thread. Move it where it needs to go. Have a good day. 

56 minutes ago, revo said:

I was not sure where to post this.

Not here! These forums are dedicated to the Affinity apps. Posts about DrawPlus and other Serif ‘legacy’ applications should be made to the CommunityPlus Forum (but having said that, Serif have made it pretty clear in the recent past that they have no interest in allowing their intellectual property to become open source).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Not here! These forums are dedicated to the Affinity apps. Posts about DrawPlus and other Serif ‘legacy’ applications should be made to the CommunityPlus Forum (but having said that, Serif have made it pretty clear in the recent past that they have no interest in allowing their intellectual property to become open source).

The CommunityPlus Forum does not appear to be overseen by Serif employees so I doubt anyone there could help me. 

Where did that occur?  Can you link an article or something? Thanks. 

It seems odd and perhaps a bit selfish for them to advertise that they use open source software but to then not want to support open source. 

https://www.serif.com/licences/

Hi Revo

I agree with you. I love Affinity and anyone coming over to them from Adobe will be very pleased. But, having come over from Serif they are lacking in a lot of features we were using on a daily basis and seem a long way away from adding them.

I think many people do not realise just how far ahead of the game Serif products were. I think if someone got hold of them and added a couple of small additions to modernise them they would continue to be amazing. Even just a new dark UI would be fantastic.

Serif products are packed full of features that Affinity users have been crying out for for years like: Data Merge, Mesh Warp/fill and Vector Trace to name just a few.

That being said I don't think we will see the Serif apps become OS because they would become a very powerful competitor and damage sales of the Affinity brand.

10 hours ago, revo said:

The CommunityPlus Forum does not appear to be overseen by Serif employees

I’m not sure what gave you that impression! @Patrick Connor is the forum admin, and support staff such as @stokerg and @DWright regularly contribute to threads there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

This post does not belong on these forums , as Alfred said. It is therefore locked,

See this answer https://community.serif.com/forum/other-products/114209/open-source-legacy-software-split

this answer is pretty good too, even though it's not by a Serif member of staff https://community.serif.com/forum/other-products/110973/open-source-plus-series

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon